Regular Contributor

Where I am the line jumpers are really getting out of hand.  When there is left over vaccine instead of calling people who would need it first, the people that give the vaccines are calling their families and friends.  Maybe when all of the line jumpers get vaccinated the people that need it most maybe can get a vaccine before they die.

Honored Contributor

I am going to let as many ahead of me who want to get there.  Under 60 and no health problems I am in no hurry whatsoever.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sunshine45 

Those who have someone immunocompromised living with them are not included in group A.  This 30 something couple are line jumpers. They have taken two shots belonging to others.

Why didn't they have their son receive the vaccine instead?

It seems every state/county has different standards they are going by - here in VA/DC/MD area teachers are now included in Group 1b or 1c but yet in Georgia where 3 teachers (in one county) died last week they aren't included in Group 1.

I read a story on Friday about a health clinic (in a rural Georgia area) that had paid $7k to get a deep freezer to use for the vaccine and had started to vaccinate people in their area had their vaccine supply taken away as they allowed teachers under 65 or who were not also medical workers. They were told they would have to wait 6 months before they would be allowed to get any more vaccine supply.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

@giova wrote:

Where I am the line jumpers are really getting out of hand.  When there is left over vaccine instead of calling people who would need it first, the people that give the vaccines are calling their families and friends.  Maybe when all of the line jumpers get vaccinated the people that need it most maybe can get a vaccine before they die.

@giova , that is happening everywhere.  I'm not sure if it's a matter of the people administering the shots not having the phone numbers of the people next in line or what.

I have 2 relatives who both rec'd their first vaccines and go for their second next week. They were able to get it already because they know someone who works at the board of health.  The vaccines were left over and they were called and told if they could get there within the hour, they could get vaccinated.   

This whole roll-out has been an epic failure.  Very, very poor planning. 

Esteemed Contributor
Yes many have been vaccinated but how many were legitimately eligible. In my state of NJ smokers are 1A. In one of our mega sites, an older person traveled 100 miles one way to get his vaccine and noted most of those waiting were 20-30 yr old. I hear stories about how “they new someone and tho not eligible got a vaccine. One local hospital forced a 30 yr old board member to get the vaccine; he objected at first but then took it. I have not been able to get an appointment but I’m careful and will wait, no choice lol. The point is that it shouldn’t be so hard to get vaccinated. It’s not equitable & 6 mega sites operate in our state WITH NO VACCINE! The hospitals don’t have any either. Then there is a state registration but it’s unclear which facility is under the state or you have to sign up on the private site. Then, people are traveling 200 miles round trip only to be told (with a confirmed appointment, one where you enter your zip code) that they can’t give you a vaccine because you don’t live in the county.

Yeah it’s wonderful if you were vaccinated but for those who haven’t been and going thru hours trying to sign on and find a vaccine, it’s h**l. So I’m not giving my state any accolades at this point. The categories are too broad
Honored Contributor

"Curious, suspicious that there are "left over" vaccines here there and everywhere while people are told all spots are filled, no available appointments.

Seems likely left over vaccine are in fact saved set aside vaccines for friends and family. 

Esteemed Contributor
They have vaccine for appointments and if someone doesn’t show for their appointment, it’s “left over” and rather than throw it out health officials advise “they grab someone and give the vaccine” even though they aren’t eligible.
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I am going to let as many ahead of me who want to get there.  Under 60 and no health problems I am in no hurry whatsoever.

Well then you are not actually "in line" so I'm not sure how this comment relates to the frustration of those who are much more vulnerable.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

"Curious, suspicious that there are "left over" vaccines here there and everywhere while people are told all spots are filled, no available appointments.

Seems likely left over vaccine are in fact saved set aside vaccines for friends and family. 

There are people that make the appointment and for whatever reason don't show up.

The site we went to was appointment only and those that showed up without one were told that they were more than welcome to come back after a certain time to see if there were any that were not used for the day.  

I'm sure those administering the vaccine don't have access to who is next in line on the waitlist.  Giving it to someone who is willing to make the trip back at the end of the day is the next best bet.  

Whether or not they had to meet the group/phase criteria, I don't know nor do I care as long as it wasn't being thrown away.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Well then you are not actually "in line" so I'm not sure how this comment relates to the frustration of those who are much more vulnerable.

I am sure you are correct it does not relate.  Only relates to the fact that I am in no hurry until I see more about the vaccine.  So I would not want to line jump like some do who should not be in line.  That is what I thought the thread pertained to, people who should not be "in line."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."