Honored Contributor

The airlines have "stand bys" to replace no shows.

Doctor's offices call those on a list to take the appointments of late cancellations.

All those in line for the vaccine have appointments so as the day goes on a count of no shows accumulate.

They should be well aware of how many additional eligible people can be accommodated. Mid-day they can contact people to replace the morning no shows. Afternoon they could contact people as spots open. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

"Curious, suspicious that there are "left over" vaccines here there and everywhere while people are told all spots are filled, no available appointments.

Seems likely left over vaccine are in fact saved set aside vaccines for friends and family. 

@occasionalrain , in the case of the people I know getting their's, they truly were left over because a bus was bringing people from a group home to the health department and an issue erupted on the bus and they had to turn around and take them back to the group home.  I'm not sure how many people were on that bus but there were shots for all of them that were going to be unused. 

Some nursing homes and medical facilities had enough shots to give all staff members and if any staff members decided against it, their shot was going to be unused.  

However, I have no doubt there are a lot of people who have been vaccinated because they paid to get vaccinated ahead of others or they knew someone who was able to get them vaccinated.  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The airlines have "stand bys" to replace no shows.

Doctor's offices call those on a list to take the appointments of late cancellations.

All those in line for the vaccine have appointments so as the day goes on a count of no shows accumulate.

They should be well aware of how many additional eligible people can be accommodated. Mid-day they can contact people to replace the morning no shows. Afternoon they could contact people as spots open. 

@occasionalrain , this sounds good in theory but in practice, these people can barely get shots in arms let alone go through the process of calling people, etc.  I don't think there is enough staff for that depending on where you are.  A friend of mine waited in line with her 90+ yo mother for 5 hours to get a shot.  

Honored Contributor

There are people available who are not vaccinating; those who are checking people in and scheduling the second shot appointments. They use computers; it should be easy to keep a count. If they can't accomplish that then I have no confidence that the vaccine is being properly handled.

Honored Contributor

It's not just the unqualified friends and family getting left over vaccine that's at issue, all of them are then scheduled for a second shot.

So, if it's assumed that only one from each vaccine site gets a leftover shot each day and then is scheduled for a second, multiply that second shot by the number of sites and it's no small number of those in Group A who are being deprived of protection.

To be conservative say there are 100 sites per state times 50 states, thats 5000 shots per day, 5000 deserving people be denied each day. 

Honored Contributor

This is not as organized as some of you think. Especially in huge places like stadiums, etc. Call people to come in if there are no shows? Many people have to travel to where the vaccine is given, it's not being able to jump in a car at the drop of a hat and traveling to another county. People are having trouble filling out the info online and even getting an appointment. 

Honored Contributor

My vaccine was suppose to be yesterday and I ended up walking out.  You did schedule an appt. and when I got there were a couple hundred people all seniors.  NO social distancing was enforced.  The only thing enforced was a mask.  A very, very long line to get the vaccine.  I could not deal with the zoo.  I would have ended up with COVID staying there.  I will be calling my insurance co. as to where I can get the vaccine.  The hospital should be ashamed as to the set up for the vaccine for seniors.  It was at one of the hospital's health clubs.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If appointments are scheduled, why would there be long lines? Have they scheduled everyone for the same time? If so, then they are beyond inept. Those in Group A are seniors, many with health conditions, disabilities. They can't  be expected to wait in line for hours. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If appointments are scheduled, why would there be long lines? Have they scheduled everyone for the same time? If so, then they are beyond inept. Those in Group A are seniors, many with health conditions, disabilities. They can't  be expected to wait in line for hours. 

@occasionalrain, they are trying their hardest to vaccinate as many people a day as possible. I've been there for my first shot. It's maybe not an elegant process; you can't just waltz in or drive in and get immediate attention.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are people available who are not vaccinating; those who are checking people in and scheduling the second shot appointments. They use computers; it should be easy to keep a count. If they can't accomplish that then I have no confidence that the vaccine is being properly handled.

@occasionalrain, have you been to one of the super sites?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland