Esteemed Contributor

For those that wish to know how things went for my wife today.

Took her in for what her Bariatric doctor called Exploratory Surgery. In my other 2 threads about my wife I told about the problems she has had with her small intestine being blocked and twisted.

Her doctor was able to do this surgery laparoscopically via 4 incisions. He found twists in her intestine once again(some refer to this as a hernia) and did the necessary procedure to fix the problems.

He explained to me, since this is her 4th surgery, for this or similar surgeries, what is probably the cause of this. In June of 2008 she had a Roux-en-Y surgery(also known also as Gastric Bypass), and a small number of patients have a problem with this because of the length of the re-routed small intestine. The longer it is the more prone they are for these types of problems.

This is not genetic or anything like that, it is just a medical fact that everyone's small intestines and colon are not formed exactly the same. We have a couple things involving a few things she eats along with how she goes about eating and drinking fluid at the same time. Will talk more with her doctor when I see him tomorrow at the hospital.

She had this in the late morning and the surgery itself took about 80 minutes, but then there is the hours being prepped for any type of procedure. Seems like they have more and more "regulations" every time one of us goes in for an invasive procedure. Some I see as completely unnecessary and time consuming with little to no purpose.

Not sure how long she will be in the hospital, but it doesn't sound like more than 2 days maximum, and I sure hope it turns out that way. Been through enough things of my own to know that things do not always work out that way as problems sometimes occur a day or more after the surgery or procedure. Been that route 3 times when I thought I was going home.

She was doing well when I left the hospital and not in too much pain. They prescribed some Hydrocodone if the pain gets to bad, but she doesn't like to take them much more than I do, and I refuse to take any Opiates for any level of pain.

Thanks to everyone that was/is concerned about her well being, and mine, as it is greatly appreciated by my wife and myself. Now to get to work with our very big furry family. Been gone all day and they are much in need of attention and other necessities.

Thank you all so much,

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

thank you for the update on your sweet wife

My prayers continue.

Regular Contributor

John. so glad to hear things seem to be going in your favor.  I'll surely keep Cindy and you in my prayers tonight.  Hugs to all the fur babies too.  Marmot

Esteemed Contributor
Wishing her the best !
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update, John. My best thoughts and wishes for your wife's quick recovery. And take good care of yourself. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor
Oh John, thank you so much for the update. I'm praying for a successful and long term outcome for Cindy this time around. Please take care of yourself too. Honey it's not the work lots of the time, it's the worry.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear that things seem to be going well and thank you for the update.

Let's hope in this case the doctors are right and she'll be home soon.

Super Contributor

Continued good thoughts to you both. I'm sure your kitties are glad to see you. Take care. Demitra

Esteemed Contributor

John, wishing your wife the best. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

John, thank you for keeping us informed. It's progress . . . from worry to wellness.  Sending warm hugs to both of you and your fur babies. Sleep better tonight!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop