Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Missing Neighbor

Another Update:  My city councilman responded to me that he wasn't sure what the best approach would be either, so he forwarded my message to the police and code enforcement.

Also, just today the local news reported that two men were arrested in a string of burglaries targeting recently vacated homes.  One of those homes belonged to an elderly woman who had moved out after her husband died.  Many of the items were found at antique shops, secondhand shops, and storae buildings.

Just another reason for keeping your eyes on the neighborhood.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Maybe this is just a story.

There have been others over the years.  Old timers will remember.

@esmerelda  Wondered about that. Those red flags of mine are going up! I haven't been on these forums long enough to know for sure. Thanks for the tip. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Maybe this is just a story.

There have been others over the years.  Old timers will remember.

@esmerelda  Wondered about that. Those red flags of mine are going up! I haven't been on these forums long enough to know for sure. Thanks for the tip. 

Sure it's a story.  The question is whether it's a true story or a fake one.  But, you could say the same thing about most anything posted on these boards.  There really is no way to prove one way or the other, so I'm not even going to try.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as the past.  I have been here since before they changed over to this server  Don't kow if that is old-timer enough.  Either way, if you choose not to believe it, there's a scroll bar.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess,We had our share of posters claiming things,that some found out not to be true. It got rather bad.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well, I have one final update for those who might be interested.  The police did drop by today and looked around the property.  They agreed that it was a weird situation but there wasn't enough to enter the property (which was why I didn't contact them in the first place).  And, as evidence, I will post a picture although the naysayers will say I probably found it on the internet or something.

Anyways, as if on cue, about an hour later THE HOMEOWNERS SHOWED UP in a taxi, but with no luggage.  Maybe it got delayed.  I called the police non-emergency number to let them know they were back and the lady that answered the phone said that yes, they had found their daughter who told them they should be returning today.

So, all is well.

IMG_20181005_100456002.jpg

Honored Contributor

I would not look through their mail. Doubtful it would tell you anything you need to know anyway. I can't imagine why the police have not been involved in a wellness check at this point. Sounds like an abandoned property.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess, see the post directly above yours.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, I have one final update for those who might be interested.  The police did drop by today and looked around the property.  They agreed that it was a weird situation but there wasn't enough to enter the property (which was why I didn't contact them in the first place).  And, as evidence, I will post a picture although the naysayers will say I probably found it on the internet or something.

Anyways, as if on cue, about an hour later THE HOMEOWNERS SHOWED UP in a taxi, but with no luggage.  Maybe it got delayed.  I called the police non-emergency number to let them know they were back and the lady that answered the phone said that yes, they had found their daughter who told them they should be returning today.

So, all is well.

IMG_20181005_100456002.jpg

@Icegoddess

Sure is a strange situation!  No luggage?  Something's not right here.  Maybe we'll never know the truth.  Keep your eyes open, and keep that camera handy. . .

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We have a neighbor 2 houses down from us and expected something may have happened with him.  We never saw him and his yard, neither front or back were being maintained.  His front became so overgrown, the mail lady quit delivering the mail because she could barely find her way through the overgrown tree limbs and weeds. 

I never, ever saw him leave the house and never saw anyone coming to get him.  All his cars in the driveway had 4 flat tires so he wasn't driving any of them.  No garbage was being put out to the curb.

I was afraid he was dead inside the house or that something happened so I contacted the police to do a welfare check.  He did answer the door but whatever they saw prompted them to call human services who said they couldn't reveal a lot but he was not very nice when they went to the door.

We have no idea what is happening over there.  He finally must be paying someone to maintain his yard but I haven't seen him in over a year.  Same cars still in the driveway with flat tires and no garbage being put outside.  I shudder to think of what is going on.  He has multiple citations with the city for the junky cars and for the unmaintained yard in years prior but he doesn't show up to Court and they aren't going to send someone to come get him for a housing violation.         

That's creepy, wouldn't want someone like that for my neighbor.  Sorry you have to put up with that.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IcegoddessGladys...Gladys Kravitz...is this you??  You must be 100 by now!! Woman Wink

Seriously, though...now that they're back, why not go over and tell them you're glad to see them and that you were concerned about them.

Keepin' it real.