Respected Contributor

Re: Question For Posters Who Have NOT Received Their Stimulus Check

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I never set up an IRS account because I usually pretty much break even or owe less than $100.  

I use FreeTaxUSA; it's an excellent program and there's a 25% rebate on Rakuten!  

Anyway, I set up an account today, and made a $5 payment towards my 2019 tax return.  Now they have my direct deposit information.  

Mask    Mask    Mask    Mask    Mask

This is for you, @Tinkrbl44 , as well as anyone else who thinks that the IRS has their direct deposit information based on having a tax payment automatically withdrawn from their bank account.  That isn't accurate.  The IRS will only directly deposit this stimulus payment if a tax refund for 2019 or 2018 was directly deposited into your bank account.  If you don 't specifically give them your direct deposit information for this payment, they will mail your check per the published schedule by income level.

"[If] you are required to file a federal income tax return for 2019 or 2018,… and you filed a tax return for 2019 or 2018, but you owed tax or didn’t choose direct deposit for tax refund: You don’t need to do anything else to get your Economic Impact Payment in the mail. You may be able to provide direct deposit information to the IRS to get your payment in your bank account instead."

From https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-to-use-the-tools-on-irsgov-to-get-your-economic-impact-payment. (Red text emphasis mine).

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

We have not received ours yet.  When we filed both our 2018 and 2019 taxes, I provided our direct deposit information, but we ended up having to pay some federal tax so the direct deposit wasn't used. 

Yesterday, I went to the IRS site and checked, using my husband's social security number. It said they didn't have his direct deposit info on file so I entered it. 

What is interesting is that it asks for your adjusted gross income from your tax return.  I put that in, but our return is a joint return so that figure was for both of us.  But yet, I was just entering info under his social security number.  Very confusing. 

So now, I don't know what to do with MY social security number. It will again ask for the adjusted gross income, Which I already entered under my husbands number. So do I enter it again????

I have decided to do nothing right now. I read that after this first wave, they will then do social security recipients. My husband and I both draw social security AND we both use direct deposit for that so hopefully it will show up then. 

Oh, and there is nothing under frequently asked questions on the IRS site that addresses this. 

I'm not sure if you received an answer elsewhere, but I was in a similar situation and this is what I did.  My DH receives Social Security via direct deposit, I do not receive SS.  We file jointly, he has other income as well, I don't have a "job" that produces income, but have some stock dividend income.  We always have to pay and I always just mail a check to the IRS, which I did earlier this month and it has cleared through our checking account.  We haven't receive our stimulus, so I went to Get My Payment, entered his info, and the info required from our tax returns including the amount we paid this year, and the direct deposit info, that went fine.  I thought about what to do regarding me, so I entered my social security number, birthdate, address, and when the next screen came up to enter the tax info and direct deposit info, it did not come up, I got the screen that said I was eligible and my direct deposit info was on file.  Bottom line, just fill out that first screen with your info, and I think you will get the same result I did, just the confirmation you are eligible and that your direct deposit info was on file.  Hope that helps!

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids  she wasn’t asking anyone here when she would get hers. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question For Posters Who Have NOT Received Their Stimulus Direct Deposit

We file "married filing jointly." We have our SS check deposited directly into our bank. We have not yet filed 2019 taxes. Our last name starts with "C." We live in AZ. Our "stimulus" check was deposited into our bank early yesterday. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

SS recipients can check at ssa dot gov/Coronavirus. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

So much of these replies are just guesses.  My DD and GD both received their stimulus checks last Monday.  They both have the same last name, same address, same bank but different account numbers.  One received a small refund for 2018, the other paid taxes.  Neither has filed 2019 taxes yet.  Go figure.

Trusted Contributor

The government plans to issue stimulus payments as soon as possible. It might take several months for all payments to be processed and delivered.

The IRS will use the bank or financial account info on your 2019 return (or 2018 return if you haven't filed your 2019 return). If you didn't file either of those years or didn't include your account info on those returns, they'll mail your stimulus check to your address on record.

If you didn't file a 2018 or 2019 tax return, and you have one of the incomes listed below, you don't have to file taxes to receive your stimulus payment. The IRS will send your stimulus payment the same way you receive these payments. If you didn't file a 2018 or 2019 tax return and you don’t have one of these income types, you need to file a 2019 tax return. For Social Security, railroad retirees, and SSDI who have qualifying children, you might want to file a return to receive an additional $500 per qualifying child.

• Social Security income (SSA-1099)
  • Supplemental security income (SSI) for a disability
  • Railroad retirement income (RRB-1099
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is from Social Security Administration:

How do I get my COVID-19 economic impact payment?

Date: April 15, 2020

The Treasury Department has launched a new web tool allowing quick registrations for Economic Impact Payments. Treasury, not Social Security, will make these payments. Please see guidance below.

Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who do not have qualifying children under age 17:

You do not need to take any action with the IRS. You will automatically receive your $1,200 economic impact payment directly from the IRS. You should receive the automatic payments by direct deposit, Direct Express debit card, or by paper check, just as you would normally receive your Social Security benefits.

People who receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability insurance benefits, who did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019, and who have qualifying children under age 17 and those receiving SSI who have qualifying children under age 17:

Go to the IRS's webpage to enter your information instead of waiting for your automatic $1,200 Economic Impact Payment. By taking proactive steps to enter information on the IRS website about you and your qualifying children, you will also receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to your $1,200 individual payment. If Social Security beneficiaries and SSI recipients in this group do not provide information to the IRS soon, you will have to wait to receive $500 per qualifying child.

New beneficiaries since January 1, 2020, of either Social Security or SSI benefits, who did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019:

Go to the IRS’s Non-Filers website to enter your information.

For those SSI and Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries, with dependent children, who use Direct Express debit cards, additional information will be available soon regarding the steps to take on the IRS website when claiming children under 17.

Treasury expects automatic payments for Social Security beneficiaries no later than the end of April and automatic payments for SSI recipients no later than early May.

Please note that we will not consider economic impact payments as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from resources for 12 months.
Honored Contributor

@sunsetbeach wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

We have not received ours yet.  When we filed both our 2018 and 2019 taxes, I provided our direct deposit information, but we ended up having to pay some federal tax so the direct deposit wasn't used. 

Yesterday, I went to the IRS site and checked, using my husband's social security number. It said they didn't have his direct deposit info on file so I entered it. 

What is interesting is that it asks for your adjusted gross income from your tax return.  I put that in, but our return is a joint return so that figure was for both of us.  But yet, I was just entering info under his social security number.  Very confusing. 

So now, I don't know what to do with MY social security number. It will again ask for the adjusted gross income, Which I already entered under my husbands number. So do I enter it again????

I have decided to do nothing right now. I read that after this first wave, they will then do social security recipients. My husband and I both draw social security AND we both use direct deposit for that so hopefully it will show up then. 

Oh, and there is nothing under frequently asked questions on the IRS site that addresses this. 

I'm not sure if you received an answer elsewhere, but I was in a similar situation and this is what I did.  My DH receives Social Security via direct deposit, I do not receive SS.  We file jointly, he has other income as well, I don't have a "job" that produces income, but have some stock dividend income.  We always have to pay and I always just mail a check to the IRS, which I did earlier this month and it has cleared through our checking account.  We haven't receive our stimulus, so I went to Get My Payment, entered his info, and the info required from our tax returns including the amount we paid this year, and the direct deposit info, that went fine.  I thought about what to do regarding me, so I entered my social security number, birthdate, address, and when the next screen came up to enter the tax info and direct deposit info, it did not come up, I got the screen that said I was eligible and my direct deposit info was on file.  Bottom line, just fill out that first screen with your info, and I think you will get the same result I did, just the confirmation you are eligible and that your direct deposit info was on file.  Hope that helps!

@sunsetbeach - thank you!!!!!  That worked. It shows that I am eligible for payment and that they have the direct deposit info and that they don't have a payment date for me yet.  

Thank you SO much for responding to me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@sunsetbeach wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@sunsetbeach - thank you!!!!!  That worked. It shows that I am eligible for payment and that they have the direct deposit info and that they don't have a payment date for me yet.  

Thank you SO much for responding to me. 

@gidgetgh  You are SO welcome!  Smiley Happy