Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update: Pippa Middleton daughter's first name revealed

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thanks for the update.  I think they're all good names.  At least they didn't name her Lilibet.

What's wrong with Lillibet? That's what Queen Elizabeth called herself as a little girl. I think it's adorable, plus nobody in that family has only one name. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Grace and Rose aren't bad names, Arthur  conjures up an image of an old man! I don't know if it's better to go with a normal name or a name that most people would never name their child?

Arthur is the name of a Romano Celtic military leader and has appeared in the royal lineage more than once historically.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grace and Rose, and even more common Gracie and Rosie, are currently quite popular names for female dogs in the U.S. But perhaps not in Britain.

For people, I like both names okay for a middle name but not so much as a first name. And Arthur is a definite no for me unless naming after a relative and then, again, only as a middle name.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

I think Rose is a beautiful name!  Roses are beautiful.  Always!Heart

Honored Contributor

I don't like either of the girls names.  Too old fashioned.  My grandmother had cousins and the three sisters were named Rose, Lilly and Daisy.  When I was a little I thought that was very cool.  

Respected Contributor

I Like the names.  Nothing fancy, just classic, time honored names.  Arthur, the once and future King. Didn't Pippa ask Kate if she had plans to name her child Arthur before she took the name for her own son?   Another ages old name. 

Respected Contributor

Old- fashioned names have been popular the last several years, and I really like most of them. In my three year-old grand's Sunday School class there is a Ruby, Brooks, Lily, Daisy, and Angus. Our family had some awful names two generations ago so they weren't brought forward. We used maiden names as middle names for most of our own kids. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Old- fashioned names have been popular the last several years, and I really like most of them. In my three year-old grand's Sunday School class there is a Ruby, Brooks, Lily, Daisy, and Angus. Our family had some awful names two generations ago so they weren't brought forward. We used maiden names as middle names for most of our own kids. 

You are absolutely correct -- for example, we have young neighbor girls named Lucy and Nora, and I know of a couple younger boys named Henry.

P.S. I like the names Pippa and her husband have chosen, particularly Grace. Really, to me, Arthur doesn't sound any more old-fashioned than George. Also, it occurs to me that Arthur might be more common for young boys in Britain than in the US, as was stated about the name Archie a few years back.

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Grace and Rose aren't bad names, Arthur  conjures up an image of an old man! I don't know if it's better to go with a normal name or a name that most people would never name their child?

Arthur is the name of a Romano Celtic military leader and has appeared in the royal lineage more than once historically.

Pippa's children are not Royal.

Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Pippa and I appear to be attracted to the same names.  I love all three of her choices.

In my culture, we name children after the father and mother's parents (father's first), but I do gravitate to certain names apart from that tradition.  

We do get to be innovative when there is a third son or daughter, though.  My maternal grandmother had 10 children and so she and my grandfather had many choices after a certain number of children had been born.  One other guideline for us:  There should be a saint on our ecclesiastical calendar that aligns with the name chosen, even if loosely interpreted.

[In the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the hilarious scene when Toula's family welcomes the family of her fiance was no doubt built upon this naming tradition.  Her father, Gus, introduces the family members as "Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickie," etc.  No doubt the family patriarch (Gus and his siblings' father) had the name Nicholas.  Of course, too, Nicholas is a common Greek name, so that might be the basis of the joke, too.  It depends on the family.  In some families (even extended), there is not one Nicholas to be found.] 

@golding76   My maternal grandmother also had 10 children.....and traditionally the children are named after the grandparents & also a saint's name, too.  (italian Catholic here, LOL)

@SloopJohnB  Italian catholic here ,   and yes your right it's traditional to name children after there grandparents .  We all were.