Honored Contributor

Update: Pippa Middleton daughter's first name revealed

The new baby has been named Rose.  I don't believe middle names have been announced.

Rose has a sister named Grace and a brother named Arthur.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update: Pippa Middleton daughter's first name revealed

I like both of the girls names, but I don't care for the boys name!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update.  I think they're all good names.  At least they didn't name her Lilibet.

Honored Contributor

Such a beautiful name!  

Thanks  for the update @faeriemoon  😊

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  MEOW

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pippa and I appear to be attracted to the same names.  I love all three of her choices.

In my culture, we name children after the father and mother's parents (father's first), but I do gravitate to certain names apart from that tradition.  

We do get to be innovative when there is a third son or daughter, though.  My maternal grandmother had 10 children and so she and my grandfather had many choices after a certain number of children had been born.  One other guideline for us:  There should be a saint on our ecclesiastical calendar that aligns with the name chosen, even if loosely interpreted.

[In the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the hilarious scene when Toula's family welcomes the family of her fiance was no doubt built upon this naming tradition.  Her father, Gus, introduces the family members as "Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickie," etc.  No doubt the family patriarch (Gus and his siblings' father) had the name Nicholas.  Of course, too, Nicholas is a common Greek name, so that might be the basis of the joke, too.  It depends on the family.  In some families (even extended), there is not one Nicholas to be found.] 

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Pippa and I appear to be attracted to the same names.  I love all three of her choices.

In my culture, we name children after the father and mother's parents (father's first), but I do gravitate to certain names apart from that tradition.  

We do get to be innovative when there is a third son or daughter, though.  My maternal grandmother had 10 children and so she and my grandfather had many choices after a certain number of children had been born.  One other guideline for us:  There should be a saint on our ecclesiastical calendar that aligns with the name chosen, even if loosely interpreted.

[In the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the hilarious scene when Toula's family welcomes the family of her fiance was no doubt built upon this naming tradition.  Her father, Gus, introduces the family members as "Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickie," etc.  No doubt the family patriarch (Gus and his siblings' father) had the name Nicholas.  Of course, too, Nicholas is a common Greek name, so that might be the basis of the joke, too.  It depends on the family.  In some families (even extended), there is not one Nicholas to be found.] 

@golding76   My maternal grandmother also had 10 children.....and traditionally the children are named after the grandparents & also a saint's name, too.  (italian Catholic here, LOL)

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

SloopJohnB, thank you for letting me know that the naming-after-the-grandparents tradition exists in your culture, too. 

The thought behind this tradition is that those who went before will continue on in their descendants.  

Another part of this is that the father's name is always the middle name of each child he has -- even for the girls but for females, a feminine form of the name is given.  This is the patronym tradition and distinguishes whose child is whose.  Thus, the first male child of Peter (Panayiotis or Petros) will have the name Peter as his middle name and Peter's father's name as his first name.  If Peter's father's first name is George, then Peter's first male child is named George Peter.  When and if George Peter has his first male child, that child's name will be Peter George.

Since the fictional Portokalos family had Gus (the nickname for Constantine) as one of the children of Gus's father, Nicholas, Gus's son's name was Nicholas Constantine Portokalos.   Nick's first son would be Constantine Nicholas and so on.

my big fat greek wedding gifs | WiffleGif

Honored Contributor

Grace and Rose aren't bad names, Arthur  conjures up an image of an old man! I don't know if it's better to go with a normal name or a name that most people would never name their child?

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

SloopJohnB, thank you for letting me know that the naming-after-the-grandparents tradition exists in your culture, too. 

The thought behind this tradition is that those who went before will continue on in their descendants.  

Another part of this is that the father's name is always the middle name of each child he has -- even for the girls but for females, a feminine form of the name is given.  This is the patronym tradition and distinguishes whose child is whose.  Thus, the first male child of Peter (Panayiotis or Petros) will have the name Peter as his middle name and Peter's father's name as his first name.  If Peter's father's first name is George, then Peter's first male child is named George Peter.  When and if George Peter has his first male child, that child's name will be Peter George.

Since the fictional Portokalos family had Gus (the nickname for Constantine) as one of the children of Gus's father, Nicholas, Gus's son's name was Nicholas Constantine Portokalos.   Nick's first son would be Constantine Nicholas and so on.

my big fat greek wedding gifs | WiffleGif

@golding76  Yes, same thing here with the middle names, too.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread