Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@bathina wrote:
the police told you she wouldn't answer citizenship questions? Interesting.

Good for her!!  He isn't INS, he was dealing with a traffic accident and he had no reason to inquire about citizienship.  License and registration was all he needed.  

@chrystaltree 

Depends on what State/County and City in which one lives. Why would I care what any Law Enforcement Officer asks me? Simple for me "I Wouldn't".

What's relevant I will leave up to the courts to decide. Got a very interesting story about Law Enforcement  and myself that would probably get your """"" in a wad were it you. For that reason I leave it untold, for now anyways.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You do not have to answer questions about where you were born, whether you are a U.S. citizen, or how you entered the country. (Separate rules apply at international borders and airports as well as for individuals on certain nonimmigrant visas, including tourists and business travelers. For more specific guidance about how to deal with immigration-related questions, see our immigrants’ rights section.)

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/stopped-by-police/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree @Maybe she couldn’t speak English so it was an obvious question.We have been asked questions by police and we just answer them.my son was in an accident that was his fault and I don’t believe he was treated respectfully but each police officer has a different way of doing their job as each situation is different.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree @Maybe she couldn’t speak English so it was an obvious question.We have been asked questions by police and we just answer them.my son was in an accident that was his fault and I don’t believe he was treated respectfully but each police officer has a different way of doing their job as each situation is different.

@dex 

then you ask them if they can speak english. you do not ask them if they are a "citizen."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 @If you can’t speak English I guess you are right...the answer is obvious and the question isn’t necessary.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sunshine45 @If you can’t speak English I guess you are right...the answer is obvious and the question isn’t necessary.

well, not really.......the answer COULD be that she is a citizen, she isnt a citizen, she is a permanent resident, she is a visitor on a visa, she has a work visa.....lots of different scenarios.

the point is is that she doesnt have to answer that question and the police should not be asking it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Unlicensed drivers

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

I remember, and wish for the days, where Law Enforcement had no reason to ask the citizenship question because of language. You were not a legal US Citizen unless you could speak English. Nowadays!   (;-(

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 @We have a different view point on this.I guess as my dh was once a police officer and we are now USA permanent residents my life experiences are different than yours.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@sunshine45 

I remember, and wish for the days, where Law Enforcement had no reason to ask the citizenship question because of language. You were not a legal US Citizen unless you could speak English. Nowadays!   (;-(

hckynut

This is a LIE. Every applicant for citizenship needs to pass 3 different English tests. 

Why LIE?

Esteemed Contributor

I had a coworker/friend who doesn’t have a drivers license. I just recently found out when she got a better job. Her new place of employment requires her to have a drivers license. She got a ticket in a town far from home and she says she never paid. Now the citation had grown to $3000. The new job gave her 3 months to get her license and she’s working on it. Her husband does carry her on his insurance and she would drive to work every day and continues to do so to her new job. 

She used to borrow people’s cars to pick up lunch when her kids borrowed her car. She never mentioned to anyone she didn’t have a drivers license.