Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

it’s a law in NY that you must have car insurance. Is it not in other states?

It's a law in Ohio but one that some people don't follow.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@dex wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@It is a law here too but it doesn’t seem to be enforced..my dh was hit on two separate occasions by uninsured drivers and the police allowed them to drive away...in Canada they would tow your vehicle unless there was a licensed insured driver with you to drive the vehicle.We buy insurance to cover uninsured motorists but what I don’t understand is why my insurance would have to cover an uninsured motorist if the accident was my fault....they are driving illegally.

@dex  We have to have an inspection sticker in the window and it has to be the proper color for the year it is due. If no sticker or the wrong color, police can spot it driving by and will stop you and ask to see your paperwork. 

@proudlyfromNJwe aren't required to have our cars inspected.  

We are only required to have an "E-check" test done on our vehicles every other year and you only need to show your registration to have that done.

When you get your new sticker, you have to sign a document that states you have insurance, but you don't have to show them your current insurance information so people sign and don't really have insurance.   

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@It is a law here too but it doesn’t seem to be enforced..my dh was hit on two separate occasions by uninsured drivers and the police allowed them to drive away...in Canada they would tow your vehicle unless there was a licensed insured driver with you to drive the vehicle.We buy insurance to cover uninsured motorists but what I don’t understand is why my insurance would have to cover an uninsured motorist if the accident was my fault....they are driving illegally.

@dex, it is frustrating but many times if someone doesn't have insurance, they don't have anything else either.  If you don't have insurance to cover the damage done to your vehicle, how is your vehicle going to be fixed?  You can sue the responsible party but if they don't have anything, where does that leave you? 

Valued Contributor

In the Commonwealth of VA you don't have to have insurance on your car - instead you pay an "Uninsured Motorist Fee" of $500. And if you are involved in an accident and found not to have insurance there are stiff penalties.

Uninsured.png

Honored Contributor

Re: Unlicensed drivers

[ Edited ]

Our car insurance is high due to “uninsured motorist” coverage. They are everywhere...there is a place here where you can buy fake drivers license, fake insurance coverage cards,fake birth certificates, SS cards, and get your odometer rolled back as many miles as you want...the more miles you want to go away, the more it costs. One of my former students’ uncle runs the place...been there for years...the authorities know it’s there....it caters to people who enter the country illegally, but anyone can buy what they want as long as they are willing to pay. Years ago, my mother had an uninsured driver hit her car on the driver’s side...so thankful she wasn’t hurt...he apologized and drove away...no drivers license either; the police never even looked for him....despite a license plate number....the car was stolen...but your insurance rates skyrocket due to others breaking the law. Maddening.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

In Massachusetts if you have a passport you can drive without a license, and having to pass a driving course to learn the rules of regarding how to drive.

Why get a license, or insurance, or whatever when the courts protect them and the citizen is left with the burden.

@chiclets, this is from driving laws in Massachusetts:

Massachusetts prohibits driving without a valid license, whether revoked, suspended, or never issued.

@Lipstickdiva 

I am not disclaiming what you mentioned, it is a fact.

No disrespect to you, I really do not want to go around the block with this issue again as being right in what I said does not matter to me because I know it is a fact also, and it does not matter to me if you do not believe it.

I will finish it by simply saying this, if a person is not a citizen, for 6 months he is allowed to drive in that state for 6 months with a passport as one form of ID.

I am done but I can understand why you questioned my comment and I will say that we can disagree about the issue while respecting each other's position whether it is right or wrong.

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

This just blows my mind,  My DH was involved in a accident this evening.  He is ok, his car is not.  The other driver had no license, but the car she was driving has insurance.  How does that happened,  Don't you need a license to buy and insure a vehicle?   The deputy said she will receive a criminal citation.  Does anyone have experience with this?

The insurance could be in his spouses name or a joint policy. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

In Massachusetts if you have a passport you can drive without a license, and having to pass a driving course to learn the rules of regarding how to drive.

Why get a license, or insurance, or whatever when the courts protect them and the citizen is left with the burden.

Massachusetts prohibits driving without a valid license, whether revoked, suspended, or never issued.

@Lipstickdiva 

No disrespect to you, I really do not want to go around the block with this issue again as being right in what I said does not matter to me because I know it is a fact also, and it does not matter to me if you do not believe it.

I will finish it by simply saying this, if a person is not a citizen, for 6 months he is allowed to drive in that state for 6 months with a passport as one form of ID.

I am done but I can understand why you questioned my comment and I will say that we can disagree about the issue while respecting each other's position whether it is right or wrong.

@chicletsyour initial post stated anyone could drive without a license in Massachusetts as long as they have a passport. That is very different from what you have now posted. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Unlicensed drivers

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

@chicletsyour initial post stated anyone could drive without a license in Massachusetts as long as they have a passport. That is very different from what you have now posted. 

@Lipstickdiva 

Yes, I did say that and it was meant as a generalization about not needing a state license to drive. Yes, my wording was oxymoron and I own it and the effect it had.

I was trying to make a comment without becoming entangled in a conversation about illegal drivers and illegals. It was my intent to give an example of how anyone can drive without a license. By trying to avoid being part of an argument I created an issue for myself. I own it. Yes, I clearly understand now I should have worded and explained my comment differently and why it was questioned. It was not my intent to have any discord with the issue or with anyone.

Respectfully C.

Respected Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

You still have not provided proof of what you claim because it is not true. It is not a matter of opinion, and I can assure you that I am well versed in MA law.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky