Esteemed Contributor

US AIR FORCE ACADEMY

[ Edited ]

Kudos to Lt. General Silveria, Superintendent of the U.S.Air Force Academy for the speech he gave to the cadets.  He made it very clear that racial slurs , lack of respect and demeaning others will not be tolerated in the academy.  All people are to be treated with dignity and respect. 

In his speech he said; "We would be naive to think we shouldn't discuss this topic.  It is all about respect and demeaning others."  He made it clear that those who don't agree should, as he stated; "Get out".  He runs a tight ship, as he should, good for him, I applaud him.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Those military colleges can really be a tough place to survive, especially if you are not over 6ft tall  or a woman. You best better be squared away and able to defend yourself physically and verbally or you will be eaten alive. I only know this because my friends son went to the Naval Academy and my husbands coworker's daughter went to West Point. The female said it was so stressful at West Point she doesn't know how she made it through.

Honored Contributor

Re: US AIR FORCE ACADEMY

[ Edited ]

That general is amazing, what a guy!  I just heard his speech for the third time today. He commands attention and is a fantastic leader.  There should be more like him.

His strong message was to respect diversity in all forms, and if you can't do that, if you can't bring people together, GET OUT.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

That general is amazing, what a guy!  I just heard his speech for the third time today. He commands attention and is a fantastic leader.  There should be more like him.

(my bold)

I disagree. I don't find him to be amazing. I find him to be (from what I gathered from his words) a decent human being who should be the norm, rather than the exception. It's sad that he should have had to make that speech. 

Kudos to him. We need many, many more like him. He displays the kind of leadership people should listen to. 

Honored Contributor

It was an inspiring speech. It makes me sad that it was necessary.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

(my bold)

I disagree. I don't find him to be amazing. I find him to be (from what I gathered from his words) a decent human being who should be the norm, rather than the exception. It's sad that he should have had to make that speech. 

Kudos to him. We need many, many more like him. 

You made the same point I did in saying he should be the norm and I said there should be more like him, which actually you repeated almost word for word.  But if you think that's disagreeing, ok.

Regular Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@LinaL wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

(my bold)

You made the same point I did in saying he should be the norm and I said there should be more like him, which actually you repeated almost word for word.  But if you think that's disagreeing, ok.

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your statement that I didn't bold. I didn't mean to steal your thunder. I, simply, don't (or don't want to) find basic decency amazing.

I didn't think I repeated you verbatim. Been a long day. I'm tired. Sorry if I plagiarized.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is apropos to not only the AF Academy but to everyone and

Life in General.   There have been several topics of late which

caused ‘difference of opinion’ where unnecessary name-calling &

disrespect of the person was not warranted..when they

did nothing wrong. The person discussed needed to be treated

with dignity...if not, “get out”, like Lt.General Silveria said.  

Words we all could live by.

I’ve shared & retweeted this speech a zillion times on social media. 

Very. Important. Words to. Hear.

And the posters before and more likely after me will be giving him a

big ‘woo-hoo’ when they have been ugly-with-words in the present/past.

Hopefully they will take a look within....and reflect.  If not, ‘get out’. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you General Silveria. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@LinaL wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

(my bold)

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your statement that I didn't bold. I didn't mean to steal your thunder. I, simply, don't (or don't want to) find basic decency amazing.

I didn't think I repeated you verbatim. Been a long day. I'm tired. Sorry if I plagiarized.

Disagreeing does not equate to stealing thunder.  IMO his behavior was amazing.  You don't see that, fine.