Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for gift suggestions for hospital patient/family

Here's hoping that she will start to feel better soon. I to had a close friend that was in a car accident and it was ages when she started to feel better and when she did I got her a very pretty bed jacket that I found in the hospital gift shop. I know it may too soon but something like this might be nice. 

Respected Contributor

Just a quick idea---battery candle.

Trusted Contributor

Fresh fruit is usually appreciated by friends and family standing vigil at the hospital. How very kind of you for running with the ball to show your support for your co-worker. I pray she will suffer no longstanding issues resulting from the accident. If you could post her first name or initials it would help us to pray for her.

Take care,

dee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl

Well, first,  I say ask at the nurses station and see what they think.

If it looks like she'll be pulling through and it is doable, why not have a photo taken of her co-workers waving or holding Get Well signs and made into a poster size?   It might be nice to see their smiling faces to remind her of her "real" life. 

One thing comes to mind for the care package .... dry shampoo and hair clips.   Her hair will be a real mess in no time.  Also inquire if the hospital can recommend a hair dresser that can come and wash her hair later on.   Sometimes it can be done.

Another thing for later on ..... Books On Tape.   Sounds to me like she'll have a lot of free time while she's healing and being read to can be a real blessing and not only stimulate her brain, but entertain her as well.    

Honored Contributor

I think the initial response has been great, and has surely shown the family that people care.   I think at this point you wait for the patient to wake up, and it's always encouraging to wake up to find balloons, cards, etc., in the room.   Save the flowers until they can be delivered to her room, or home, where she can enjoy them.   

If the patient has a lengthy stay at this facility, she would appreciate knowing her family is being cared for at home.  Whether it be meals, or other offers to help.   Maybe between trying to work, and trips to the hospital, dad doesn't have time to mow the grass, and someone helps out with that task.  Hopefully a close family member, friend or neighbor offers to do laundry, or assist with cleaning the house.

My expectations are that in the days ahead, you will learn of various ways you can help the patient and her family.   

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think you all have done so well in getting the family what they really need now, which is money to keep going during this time. I'm sure many are missing work, and it doesn't seem to matter how much money one has, something like this is a drain financially, which then adds to the worry and stress. So anything you and co workers and friends can do to help her family with gas, food, hotels (like you have been) right now, is the best gift I could imagine. 

Perhaps a basket with magazines, puzzle books pens and paper, so those waiting long hours at the hospital have something to entertain themselves. Maybe some small books with encouraging words and quotes or stories in there too, like Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of things.

I love the idea of all the cards, and posting them. Even if she can't see them right now, it is a comfort to the family to know people care.

these...

I recently got out of the hospital, and what helped me keep whatever sanity I have left LOL were sheets of crosswords from puzzles.com that the stafff kindly ran off for me when they could.  

Plus reading some of the mags and novels they had there.

As you mentioned, they're also appreciated by any family members or friends keeping vigil.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, those are all great suggestions!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

$$$$$$$/gift cards. Balloons/flowers are ok. However, they disappear. I follow this in pretty much every occasion. Cash/Gift cards are universal, especially in a stressful time.

Respected Contributor

What about a video of her coworkers wishing her well?  They could play it at her bedside even if she's not responsive.  She might be able to hear it and be inspired.

Valued Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I think you all have done so well in getting the family what they really need now, which is money to keep going during this time. I'm sure many are missing work, and it doesn't seem to matter how much money one has, something like this is a drain financially, which then adds to the worry and stress. So anything you and co workers and friends can do to help her family with gas, food, hotels (like you have been) right now, is the best gift I could imagine. 

Perhaps a basket with magazines, puzzle books pens and paper, so those waiting long hours at the hospital have something to entertain themselves. Maybe some small books with encouraging words and quotes or stories in there too, like Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of things.

I love the idea of all the cards, and posting them. Even if she can't see them right now, it is a comfort to the family to know people care.

these...

I recently got out of the hospital, and what helped me keep whatever sanity I have left LOL were sheets of crosswords from puzzles.com that the stafff kindly ran off for me when they could.  

Plus reading some of the mags and novels they had there.

As you mentioned, they're also appreciated by any family members or friends keeping vigil.

Hi @feline groovy !!  I agree with you and @Mominohio that magazines from a variety of interest areas like cooking, tv/entertainment, pets, beauty/fashion, interior design, etc...  Maybe also a couple of decks of cards and a set of dominoes.  

I hope for a speedy recovery for her.  And strength for her family.