Respected Contributor

UPDATE: Looking for gift suggestions for hospital patient/family

[ Edited ]

I am looking for ideas and or suggestions for a gift that may be helpful/useful for a "different" situation.

A co-worker was in a tragic accident on her way home from work.  She was flown to a Hospital about 2 -2 1/2 hours from where she lives.

She is still in ICU-not responsive.  Have fund raised $$$ for hotels, meals, gas for family.  

I am traveling out this weekend to drop off some more gift cards, cash, cards, etc (we raised additional money with a yard sale) to the family.  (I do not know her family well)(Husband and high school age children)

I know there is no flowers allowed in her room and they have enough balloons.

I was trying to think of something I could bring that may be helpful or appreciated, but I do not know!

I started a care package of her favorite lotion and lipbalm, and moist facial towelettes as well. Bottled water and a notebook/journel for the family.

Does anyone have any other ideas what a family/patient in this situation may need or appreciate?

Thank you! 

Update:

Thank you for the suggestions.  I added puzzle books, adult coloring books, colored pencils and and small gift bag of snacks, nuts and treats for the family.

My friend NHH (her initials) is STILL in ICU and having surgeries, but is more awake and looking around the room.  Can not talk...yet. Fingers crossed.

The MD think after she completes 18-24 months of therapy she should be functional.

All of this because a pick up truck had something improperly secured in the back that become air-borne and came through her windshield striking her and causing her to lose control of her car.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for gift suggestions for hospital patient/family

If she is not responsive, and you don't know if/when she will be, that's a tough one.

For the future I might suggest a large (as in huge oversized) Get Well card signed by co-workers that can be put up where she could see it. A 2x3 foot or so "poster" of something she likes - animals, the beach, a favorite vacation spot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

If she is not responsive, and you don't know if/when she will be, that's a tough one.

For the future I might suggest a large (as in huge oversized) Get Well card signed by co-workers that can be put up where she could see it. A 2x3 foot or so "poster" of something she likes - animals, the beach, a favorite vacation spot.

Great minds think alike!

I created a poster board of an "ocean" with large cut out paper fish and starfish that people signed with well wishes and put it all together to make a "card" to brighten the room. (it is her favorite 'theme')

We thought she would be awake by now Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

In ICU, not much you can do except what you've been doing for the family. When she's in a regular room, put all the cards she has gotten on the wall so she can see how much she is loved and cared for. And keep those cards coming! Be sure to keep the family in the circle of giving with casseroles and homemade goodies.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl, here's hoping she wakes soon.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

In ICU, not much you can do except what you've been doing for the family. When she's in a regular room, put all the cards she has gotten on the wall so she can see how much she is loved and cared for. And keep those cards coming! Be sure to keep the family

Yes!!  When the family returns home- I assume when she is more stable this is most defin. a plan!

Honored Contributor

I think you all have done so well in getting the family what they really need now, which is money to keep going during this time. I'm sure many are missing work, and it doesn't seem to matter how much money one has, something like this is a drain financially, which then adds to the worry and stress. So anything you and co workers and friends can do to help her family with gas, food, hotels (like you have been) right now, is the best gift I could imagine. 

Perhaps a basket with magazines, puzzle books pens and paper, so those waiting long hours at the hospital have something to entertain themselves. Maybe some small books with encouraging words and quotes or stories in there too, like Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of things.

I love the idea of all the cards, and posting them. Even if she can't see them right now, it is a comfort to the family to know people care.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

Sending up prayers for her, along with good vibes and healing energy... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I know you and your co-workers are anxious to do something for your friend but I think it's premature to consider cards and gifts.  I'd wait, go with the flow and see how things evolve.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first thought was, pass them a note to fill in the answer...

What can I do to help? Dog or cat, or errand to run? Things to check on, extra clothes any of them need personal things, if they are at the hospital a lot? Tooth brushes, tooth paste....etc. So many personal things don't get done when this horrible thing happens.  You need extra hands, and you are very nice to be of such help!!