Honored Contributor

Re: UP IN THE RANKS

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

dooBdoo, I agree with you regarding your wish they would remove the so-called "ranking", which is based solely on a number of posts.  As an example, a poster may have 6,000 posts and be considered "Esteemed" while someone who has 200 posts is considered "Occasional".  How is that fair?  Someone has a lot of time on their hands and spends it on the boards.  The one with the low amount has two jobs,  or a sick relative they care for, no time to be here as much as they would like to.  Again, how is it fair to use words like Honored, Outstanding, Frequent, Valued, Super, Regular, Respected, Trusted, Exalted, and on and on, based on a number of posts?  To discriminate that way just doesn't make sense to me.  We are not in a contest here, no one is better or worse than the next one based on how often we post.  The moderators may not like what I just wrote but I am not offending or being rude to anyone, I am merely stating my opinion, wrong or right, depending on the status of the reader. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma

please dont make generalizations like that.....you have no way of knowing what is going on in peoples lives whether they post a lot or a little. it is very unfair to say what you said.

@sunshine45  I agree.  We have disabled posters who cannot get out very much so being here is a way of communicating with others.

We have posters who are taking care of loved ones in illness who might pop in for a bit of respite from their duties.

I just don't get why rankings are not "fair".  It's not like we get a coupon for free shipping or some other perk based on ranks.  I will dare say that if one feels being treated unfairly based on a nonsense list of rankings means one really needs to find something more fulfilling. 

This place is not a competition; some posters with "low ranks" have been the most caring and intelligent in their posts.  Quality always outranks (pun) quantity.

Besides, life isn't fair in many more real life issues.  This is not a real life issue.

Instead of looking at ranks, I look for posts that inspire me and educate me.  I look for posts from folks looking for some advice or compassion.

A ranking based on post count is nothing.  It doesn't mean one poster is better than another.  It's just silly.

If my obit or resume had to include my ranking at the Q boards then I have not had a life well lived.  Sheesh.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: UP IN THE RANKS

[ Edited ]

Me thinks there are many on this board who have not had a life well lived. Hope they are able to improve their lives with less gossip and nonsense so our lives continue to be enjoyable. Perhaps they will learn something helpful on here? <silly grin>

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady  I just noticed you are a "regular contributor."

Congratulations on not being irregular!!  Smiley Very Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

Ok, here's my take...

Ranking based by number of posts is part of the message board program used here. Personally, I could care less about the number of posts someone has made, so I very seldom look. I care more about the actual content of posts. Some care about how many posts they or others have made. If the ranking was removed, I can almost guarantee there comments and complaints. Pay attention to the ranking if it's helpful to you. Ignore it if it isn't.

Now some comments on modifying a purchased/licensed program that applies to this and other things built into the program by the company that owns it. I would assume QVC is licensing use of the program. This means that they continue to receive updates to the program. Some of these may offer new features, or modify existing ones (whether a feature is considered positive or negative is subjective). Others may increase security or fix glitches. There are some areas that are designed for QVC (or other licensed user) to easity modify. Yes, QVC programmers can likely write the programming needed to change other parts of the program. BUT doing so can, and likely will, create future issues. Whenever the vendor of the program updates some part of the program, any modifications that QVC has made that are related to that area will quite possibly have to be re-applied. This will then require testing, and possibly re-writing of the QVC programming, then more testing. 

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Congratulations on your promotion!  Here's to more vertical mobility!

@ValuSkr!

Lol!