Regular Contributor

When it gets bitter cold do you turn up the heat or do you bundle up in layers and warm clothes?  We try to keep warm with layers and warm clothes to keep the heat the same or only turn it up a degree or two  so our bill doesnt go up.

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Honored Contributor

Re: Turn up heat or bundle up

We are doing both.  When the plumber installed a new water heater last summer, he said to turn up the thermostat a few degrees to keep it warm enough to protect the pipes from freezing/bursting.  Warm jammies and comforters are a necessity during winter in Wisconsin.  

Honored Contributor

A little of both, but more layers cause I hate when it is too warm from the heat in the house, if that makes senseSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mostly bundle up. I get nauseous and feel sluggish if I turn the heat above 65 in my house. I turned it up to 68 earlier today based on info I saw on the news about turning the heat up when it's uber cold out, but I couldn't take it so I turned it back down. Usually I turn it down to 62 when I go to bed but i'll likely leave it at 65 tonite since we're expecting overnight wind chills in the -30 range. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Both & I am usually still cold. I just cannot stand the cold.

Honored Contributor

Bundle up.  I keep the heat low.  I hate being in a hot house.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Mostly bundle up. I get nauseous and feel sluggish if I turn the heat above 65 in my house. I turned it up to 68 earlier today based on info I saw on the news about turning the heat up when it's uber cold out, but I couldn't take it so I turned it back down. Usually I turn it down to 62 when I go to bed but i'll likely leave it at 65 tonite since we're expecting overnight wind chills in the -30 range. 

Same here @FrostyBabe1.  Must be very cold to even leave heat on overnight usually just turn off and put on lots of blankets.  Run it while getting ready for work then right back off again for the day.  We woke up to 26º so I left it on at 65 while I am at work today.  Got home the other day and the thermostat said 63, it was bit nippy having it off all day. 

Air conditioning is a whole other story I will run it so I can feel cold even in the cold winter months, but that is TEXAS.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@HouseMouse  I wear my Northface fuzzy jackets in the house all winter with thick, long sweats!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

When it's bitter cold I find that the house is warmer and no turning up the heat is necessary.  The house is colder when the temp outside is above freezing.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

When it's bitter cold I find that the house is warmer and no turning up the heat is necessary.  The house is colder when the temp outside is above freezing.  

@Pook,I have the same experience, do you by any chance have gas heat ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan