Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to find the Covid vaccine

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I just heard from a friend that she and another woman just showed up at a local hospital yesterday - no appointment - and got in line and got the shot  Now they were 75+, but apparently there were folks who said they were  65+ there also getting shots (and they were not in the first responder/essential worker category).

So apparently, it's a free for all.  I will wait my turn.

I was confident with waiting my turn until I read that our governor has put our vaccine distribution on the HONOR SYSTEM. I've lived here all my life, and that made me laugh out loud!

Respected Contributor

So now - when everyone is trying to get the vaccine and a whole lot of people are frustrated and upset - it's the Washington Post to the rescue with "facts."  Um no.

I don't know when this article was written, but it was published today - claiming to "answer questions" about the status of the vaccine in DC, MD, and VA.

So it starts with - the first group is health care workers and some essential workers.  OK.

Then it says that DC opened up to 65+  - again OK.

Then it goes into Q and A. where it answers the question - how can I sign up - by saying that currently only health care workers and some essential workers can get the vaccine and that while some counties in DC MD and VA have set up websites, they do NOT want anyone other than health care workers to access it because they are the ONLY ones eligible to get the vaccine right now.  What?????

They also go into speculation as to who might be in the group AFTER 75+ or 65+ in DC.  It "might" include everyone with diabetes - but then again, it might not.  Well that's really helpful information.  

It sounds like this article could have been written last week - or even before that - but why publish it today - as a definitive answer to "questions about vaccine access" when all it will do is upset people even more - or even dissuade people who are currently eligible from signing up?

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
Everyone wants the vaccine. The reality is that life isn’t going to change. We still have to wear masks, social distance etc. o want the vaccine, am in the high risk category but I’m certainly not going to stand on a line, in a crowded facility and introduce risk when I’ve been so careful this far. I haven’t seen my family since March, don’t order or eat out etc. I’m willing to wait; it’s not necessary to storm the gates.

@Stray completely agree with your last sentence.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So now - when everyone is trying to get the vaccine and a whole lot of people are frustrated and upset - it's the Washington Post to the rescue with "facts."  Um no.

I don't know when this article was written, but it was published today - claiming to "answer questions" about the status of the vaccine in DC, MD, and VA.

So it starts with - the first group is health care workers and some essential workers.  OK.

Then it says that DC opened up to 65+  - again OK.

Then it goes into Q and A. where it answers the question - how can I sign up - by saying that currently only health care workers and some essential workers can get the vaccine and that while some counties in DC MD and VA have set up websites, they do NOT want anyone other than health care workers to access it because they are the ONLY ones eligible to get the vaccine right now.  What?????

They also go into speculation as to who might be in the group AFTER 75+ or 65+ in DC.  It "might" include everyone with diabetes - but then again, it might not.  Well that's really helpful information.  

It sounds like this article could have been written last week - or even before that - but why publish it today - as a definitive answer to "questions about vaccine access" when all it will do is upset people even more - or even dissuade people who are currently eligible from signing up?

@Isobel Archer, it sounds as if someone forgot to edit the bottom part.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

The virus is raging in AZ.  I'm not even checking into the vaccine until later this month when hopefully the process is better organized.

I'm glad you were able to get an appointment, @gidgetgh @and @Suziepeach.

Yes, we are in the same boat here in Indiana. We are still at 80 and over. Thankfully, my 91 yr. old mother is getting hers.  Even then.... the first they can give her her shot is Jan. 27th.  She doesn't complain about it but it concerns me. I want to keep her as long as we can.

Honored Contributor

Awhhhh ha!!  @Isobel Archer Best explanation I've heard about Kaiser and NOT even from our PCP that wrote me last night..  

And non members are receiving the vaccine if they meet criteria. Our facility is TownPark Comprehensive Care, Kennesaw, GA..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach   Got my vaccination today in Cobb county at the Jim Miller Park.  They are running a drive through and giving out around 900 shots per per day. We were able to sign up onlne Monday night. We got appointments today at 12:05. Shots in our arms at 12:04. Took about 40 minutes start to finish. National Guard assisting with the logistics. I have never seen a more organized event. They had about 10 lines of cars going.  If we had waited for Cherokee we would be waiting until Christmas.  If anyone in Georgia is looking for vaccines you can go to any county now. Look for ones with online sign up. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in Georgia and we absolutely had no problem making an appointment to get the vaccine. We received and email from our medical facility on Saturday Night. Sunday morning we logged in and my Husband and I have an appointment on Jan 27. Very smooth and took only a minute a two to set up the appointment. So in our area of Georgia it has gone very smooth for the over 65 age group. No complaints here. Many of our friends had no problem either. We are very pleased the system that has been set up here in Georgia.  Also this is set up right at our Health Care Facility only 5 minutes away. We live in Paulding County.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Suziepeach   Got my vaccination today in Cobb county at the Jim Miller Park.  They are running a drive through and giving out around 900 shots per per day. We were able to sign up onlne Monday night. We got appointments today at 12:05. Shots in our arms at 12:04. Took about 40 minutes start to finish. National Guard assisting with the logistics. I have never seen a more organized event. They had about 10 lines of cars going.  If we had waited for Cherokee we would be waiting until Christmas.  If anyone in Georgia is looking for vaccines you can go to any county now. Look for ones with online sign up. 

@50Mickey that's great- I do believe that's where @gidgetgh will be going.  Glad it went smoothly for ya!!

I had no problem getting us scheduled in Cherokee County so come noon Monday, that will be us!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach    Two of my neighbors got through to the call center in Cherokee Coumty this morning. One called 226 times and the other 119. They are going later this month.