Respected Contributor

Re: Trying to find the Covid vaccine

Another friend told me today, she was told that her 91 year old father who is in one of the largest nursing homes in the county (and where they currently have active cases) can't get the vaccine until - at least - next month.  This while people are showing up without appointments at one of our local hospitals and getting shots.

Sad.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I wouldn't even know how to access the vaccine.  I don't have a doctor, so I figure at some point maybe it will be accessible at Walgreens, or another such venue (?).    

@chickenbutt  Ours was online. I'm not sure what you check to access it as I saw it on my towns FB. Here they are all in a dither as old folks with no computer don't know what's going on. I'm not sure how the county will work that out. Although town people are trying to help.

And here they are given at the pharmacy in our grocery store, other two pharmacies, doctors and a number of other places. Maybe check your counties vaccine protocols.

I can't get over how poorly thought out this - just do it online has been

First we had poor kids who have no internet access essentially being barred from school altogether - now the very population most at risk can't access vaccine scheduling.

@Isobel Archer  Yes, pretty bad. I haven't heard if there is an alternate way. Our town seems on top of things though. Nursing homes are seeing the vaccinations there. 

Honored Contributor

We've been Kaiser members for years and have gotten no notification of being able to get an appointment (of which we aren't going any way) but I'd like to know how you can get an appointment without being a member.  going to call them right now.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I wouldn't even know how to access the vaccine.  I don't have a doctor, so I figure at some point maybe it will be accessible at Walgreens, or another such venue (?).    

@chickenbutt  Ours was online. I'm not sure what you check to access it as I saw it on my towns FB. Here they are all in a dither as old folks with no computer don't know what's going on. I'm not sure how the county will work that out. Although town people are trying to help.

And here they are given at the pharmacy in our grocery store, other two pharmacies, doctors and a number of other places. Maybe check your counties vaccine protocols.

First we had poor kids who have no internet access essentially being barred from school altogether - now the very population most at risk can't access vaccine scheduling.

@Isobel Archer  Yes, pretty bad. I haven't heard if there is an alternate way. Our town seems on top of things though. Nursing homes are seeing the vaccinations there. 

@Isobel Archer  Just did some research and we have a phone number to call  instead of the computer. Things are busy in this area as everything is just rolling out. 

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach   My neighbor just sent me a text. She got her vaccination today at Kaiser. They are only giving it to members. At least that is what they told her. And they made an appointment for 4 weeks for her second shot. If I were you i would call ASAP. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Suziepeach   My neighbor just sent me a text. She got her vaccination today at Kaiser. They are only giving it to members. At least that is what they told her. And they made an appointment for 4 weeks for her second shot. If I were you i would call ASAP. 

Thanks for that information @50Mickey - that's just strange we didn't know anything but that's fine, we're scheduled at the Health Dept. on Main Street Monday morning for #1..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone wants the vaccine. The reality is that life isn’t going to change. We still have to wear masks, social distance etc. o want the vaccine, am in the high risk category but I’m certainly not going to stand on a line, in a crowded facility and introduce risk when I’ve been so careful this far. I haven’t seen my family since March, don’t order or eat out etc. I’m willing to wait; it’s not necessary to storm the gates.
Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer 

Unfortunately, that's not true where I live (Long Island). 

I received my vaccination card with a date that shows when I need my second dose.  Apparently someone will call me.  My friend went to the same place I did and she was told that she would have to go through the entire process of scheduling her second dose the same way she did her first one.  I pray that's not true since we need to have the second vaccine by a certain timeframe in order for it to be deemed effective.  I haven't met one person here who has had their second dose scheduled for them.

My four week mark is February 8th and I'm already getting nervous about availability.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Isobel Archer  Just did some research and we have a phone number to call  instead of the computer. Things are busy in this area as everything is just rolling out. 

We have a phone number too for the county sign up.  And one woman at my club meeting yesterday said she did get an appointment that way - after 7 hours of trying - waiting, being cut off, calling again and waiting etc.  I honestly don't think I could do that and if were even older - and not as healthy - I'm sure I couldn't.

The county acknowledged the problem and quickly encouraged everyone to "go online.to get on a list to be called back."  

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

We've been Kaiser members for years and have gotten no notification of being able to get an appointment (of which we aren't going any way) but I'd like to know how you can get an appointment without being a member.  going to call them right now.  

I did call Kaiser when I heard the vaccine was available to see if they had it.  (We are Kaiser members) and was told they would contact us when it was our turn. (DH is 1b, I am not).  Later in the day, he got an email (via their system) to schedule an appointment and got one for the next day (yesterday).  Then, while he was there, they scheduled him for the second shot in four weeks (Moderna).

When he went, he had to show his Kaiser card, so I'm not aware that they are scheduling people who don't have Kaiser - at least here in Northern VA.