Honored Contributor

But did the birds come back @drizzellla  - this is what we want to know!!!!!!!!

Your DH sounds a bit like mine. After he did some baking inside today, he immediately went outside to feed our birds. They were out of suet and the seed tube close to empty.

Happy Holidays!

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If you look up, you may see a hawk circling and the reason the birds are no shows. I have four feeders right outside my living room windows. Hawks can't  swoop in so close to the house.

I do have a new stray cat occasionally, but if I don't see birds I go out and send it off. It doesn't take too many times for the cat to give up. I feed the strays out back, but if I find one of them at my feeders, I don't  feed them that day and tell them why. Cats are smarter then they are credited. None come near my feeders now.

The thought of hawks being around was my first thought.  

I, too, feed birdies each day and if there is a hawk anywhere near you won't see any little birdies.   There are, of course, other predators but hawks are the ones I see the  most.  If I see one I always ask them to leave.  They can be pretty brave.  Sometimes I'll walk out there and be right near the hawk and it takes a couple of asks for them to leave.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Trip to Walmart 12/24

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

But did the birds come back @drizzellla  - this is what we want to know!!!!!!!!

Your DH sounds a bit like mine. After he did some baking inside today, he immediately went outside to feed our birds. They were out of suet and the seed tube close to empty.

Happy Holidays!

No, they did not. And did not see the Cardinal again only squirrels.

OccasionalRain mentioned a hawk. And yes I saw a hawk yesterday he was in a tree on the street behind our house. And the hawk also flew directly over our house. At one time we had a large about 25' pine tree in our front yard. And we found a dead hawk on the ground underneath the branches. 

And now that I think of it. I had wondered what happened to all the rabbits that used to hang out in our yard. Maybe the hawk had them for lunch. But we also have a fox in addition to numerous other critters.

Valued Contributor

Rode by our Super Wal-Mart today and packed to the edge of the road with cars..Parking lot packed to the gills.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If you look up, you may see a hawk circling and the reason the birds are no shows. I have four feeders right outside my living room windows. Hawks can't  swoop in so close to the house.

Well, you were right. In the past 2 days finally SLOWLY the birds have been coming back to the feeders. Today there were 5 cardinals at the bird feeders. Haven't seen them feeding in weeks. Don't you know it, a hawk came flying by. He didn't stop but he certainly made his presence known because the cardinals, pileated woodpecker and sparrows are now gone.

Honored Contributor

Well, here I am fretting about the birds not eating at the bird feeder.

Happened to just look out today and there were 2 very chubby squirrels sitting on the back of a bench in the backyard. They have been pretty much camped out and chomping away on all the bird seed that fell to the ground. 

Guess I don't have to worry about them getting through the winter.

PS - other neighbors are obviously feeding them too because I watch the squirrels burying peanuts in my flower beds and around the Japanese maple tree.

Esteemed Contributor

Im happy your feeding the birds. Someone said it may be the seed they don't like.  The poster stated they don't like millet,that's wrong. It's milo they don't eat. They love millet.  Look for seed with lots of millet .  Milo are big round seeds they don't eat. Millet is small.  I've been feeding birds for years.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

By any chance is millet cheaper than black oil sunflwer seeds, this is getting espensive,i have so many birds eating.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.