Honored Contributor

Paper Goods Have Gotten Expensive

I was food shopping today and guess I was lucky to be able to buy some toilet paper. The prices have gotten really high, are they taking advantage of us or what? I bought a small package of Cottonelle for $10.00, the Charmin multi pack was $26.99 which I thought was rather expensive. I bought napkins, some nothing brand, there wasn't any Bounty of Mardi Gras. As for paper towels there is no Bounty of Brawny. They only had single rolls of a brand X I never heard of. I bought one roll, it was only $1.00, I can tell by looking at it it's not going to be good. My sister has a Costco membership, the next time she goes I'll tag along to buy paper products.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paper Goods Have Gotten Expensive

Doing up my order for next week and the 6 roll Cottenelle mega rolls are 8.99 with the Safeway club card.  

I really don't remember from before, but they seemed to one of the more minor expenses.

Respected Contributor

I bought two mega packs of tp from Costco and stored them for this winter so I won’t have to worry about it. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t think they have crossed the line to be price-gouging, but supply and demand seems to be the order of the day. My grocery store seems to have plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, but I always buy my paper products at Costco.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Buy your paper products on line. I don't want to shop for this stuff and have to lug it around.Costco may still have limits and if your sister is buying paper products for her family you might not be able to get any for you.

Lots of folks here have recommended Amazon, especially if you are a prime member.I get just about everything from Target.com. Spend $35 and shipping is free. You can get bounty paper towels; they even have the full sheets. They also have Charmin and Cottonelle. They typically limit you to one of each item, but if you want more than one, get one pack of Charmin and one of Cottonelle. I don't think their prices are bad especially since it is free ship at $35 (very easy to do).

The supermarkets around here (Philly burbs)  are hit or miss with paper products. I don't want to rely on a local supermarket for these goods. 

Honored Contributor

Walmart on line has good prices on TP and paper towels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have noticed they now have the smaller packages of paper towels & toilet paper in stores instead of the larger packages. I guess this is what we have to look forward to this winter. 

Hard for me to believe they have a problem making the stuff???

It's also strange we have shortages with paper products & cleaning supplies but no shortages with anything else???

I have been buying Bounty & Brawny online.

Have tried a lot of paper towels during Covid & these are the only 2 brands worth buying other than Viva if you like cloth like.

We have enough tp to last til next year. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I am not picky about paper towels as long as they have the full sheets. I hate those that tear off in a strip. Useless to me. I use Viva for my grandbaby...that’s all they use in the NICU so I figure if they are soft enough for preemie skin, they will work for any baby. Saves me laundry.
Trusted Contributor

The best place I have found to buy toilet paper is Family Dollar and Dollar General.  Their 12 roll packs are about $5.00.  I stocked up at those 2 places and won't have to buy more for at least 3 to 4 months.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2   Interesting to see how others have fared.  Living in DC, I now order my paper towels and toilet paper from Walmart.  Tired of the inferior stuff now carried at Harris Teeter since they don't always have the normal brands stocked.

I got 8 rolls of the Scott 1,000 sheets toilet paper for 8.09 and 6 rolls of the Viva signature cloth choose-a-sheet, 110 sheets per roll, for 9.98.

I was "stalking" the Scott for a long time--I mean months.

That and the Viva are the brands I normally purchase and although the Viva towels are a little higher than I could have gotten in the good old days, both are reasonably priced.

Still haven't snagged a good deal on decent 500 piece packs of a decent brand of paper napkins, like Marcal yet.

Still searching for that.

aroc3435