Honored Contributor

Re: Paper Goods Have Gotten Expensive

So last week I bought a single roll of some brand x paper towel as that was all they had at the supermarket. It was only $1.00 so no big deal, my expectations were low. Well my expectations weren't low enough, these paper towels are horrible! The company that manufacturers and sells them should be ashamed, they are useless. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Jordan2   Interesting to see how others have fared.  Living in DC, I now order my paper towels and toilet paper from Walmart.  Tired of the inferior stuff now carried at Harris Teeter since they don't always have the normal brands stocked.

I got 8 rolls of the Scott 1,000 sheets toilet paper for 8.09 and 6 rolls of the Viva signature cloth choose-a-sheet, 110 sheets per roll, for 9.98.

I was "stalking" the Scott for a long time--I mean months.

That and the Viva are the brands I normally purchase and although the Viva towels are a little higher than I could have gotten in the good old days, both are reasonably priced.

Still haven't snagged a good deal on decent 500 piece packs of a decent brand of paper napkins, like Marcal yet.

Still searching for that.

aroc3435

@aroc3435 

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume that Scott makes different levels of toilet paper in terms of quality. My usual brand is Northern, but I bought Scott back when we were happy to buy any TP we could get our hands on. It was awful - single ply, and thin, thin, THIN.  My friend and her husband had the same complaint. She said she was told that it was made for use with septic systems. So I was shocked to read that this is your preferred brand. I guess what I got wasn't your type of Scott tissue?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags   You did get the right type.  No, the single ply Scott's is what my family has always used.  Once my daughter became an adult and lived on her own she switched to the much softer "plush" or "cushy" brands.

When I was a child in New Jersey with city plumbing we always used Scott's and still used it when we moved to a Connecticut town which did have cesspools, leach fields, septic tank.  There we absolutely had to use this type of toilet paper.  Finally the town did switch to a municipal sewer system, so much better, and protected the Long Island Sound as well.

Daughter always teases me about my New England "scratchy" toilet tissue.

Interesting we get so used to something and it is taken for granted until we can't easily obtain it.

aroc3435 

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 

Thanks so much for your explanation. Different strokes for different folks 😉

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Have you noticed that Cottenelle rolls are narrower, only 4 inches instead of 5. I had bought a large mega pack but won't be buying Cottenelle again.

Honored Contributor

I was food shopping today and bought Brawny paper towels 6 rolls for $10.59. I have an observation about Brawny paper towels. I like select a size and know both Bounty and Brawny make them. Anyway I noticed a score mark on the towels, I thought nothing of it, I thought it was a defect. I now notice Brawny sells a tear a square which let's you spilt the paper towel in half. I don't mind, but doing this is taking it to extremes.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We buy ours at Lidl.

This week they have a 12 double roll pack for $4.99.  It says compare to Angel Soft.  We won't be buying it because it has the lavender scented tubes and I can't stand the smell of lavender.

Ewww!  Can you imagine?  I don't like the smell of lavender either.

I don't know if them comparing their product to Angel Soft is doing them any favors anyway.   I recently had some of that.  The husband purchased it during the big tp shortage and gave me half of it.   I found it to not only NOT be soft, but it's super, super thin.

I guess I was spoiled with Cottonelle until Amazon quit my AD.  They replaced it with another brand, I'm thinking Northern, so I'll get one order when that month comes up and see if I like it ok.   The Angel Soft was so thin that I literally had to use twice as much and I'm extremely NOT wasteful.

@chickenbutt, Northern Ultra Soft Plush 3-ply is great. I just ordered more from Walmart.

Since that post, I received my first AD of Northern from Amazon and I have to say - it's the best one I've had yet!   I even still have a case of the last order of Cottonelle and the Northern is definitely an upgrade.  Thanks, Suz!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Here in Texas---

$6.67

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”