Respected Contributor

I've shopped at TJ's for over 15 years. We used to call it the 7-11 of Whole Foods. It is small and I cannot do all my shopping there. It's the store to go to before book group - cheese, dips, wine etc.

I read their labels, especially on their frozen food (ie Indian) and the saturated fat and salt content are crazy high.

Esteemed Contributor

Trader Joe's has the best cut flowers, at least in my area, for freshness and lasting a long time.

One of my favorite seasonal items is back, the Maple Butter.  Extremely sweet but so good.

I've also found that the prices can't be beat at the other stores I shop in.  

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

@rms1954 wrote:

We just had one open in our area a month or so ago.  Was so excited when I read all the comments on here.  I went today was very disappointed.  Prices higher that other area markets, very little to offer.  Oh well.

So sorry.  Not in my adea.  I do all my shopping there and the prices much lower than the other super markets

Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

Sorry you didn't enjoy shopping at TJ's @rms1954 . My experience is exactly opposite of yours and I find the prices to be excellent.  I love that they're always bringing in new and interesting items to try and the packaging is adorable. Last night we had their new cauliflower, kale, and navy bean chili for dinner. So delicious! 

I go at least once a week and do about 85% of my shopping there. If they had any more great things I'd need to enlarge my kitchen to accommodate it all, lol. 

I make gift baskets for special occasions filled with TJ items for our neighbors who are always so good to us. They include delicious food items, beauty products and, for some, a sampling of unique beer and wines. Even the dogs get in on the action. This week they're especially loving the pumpkin maple bacon flavored treats.

I heard there's a new treat this week called the Chew-cuteries--a take on the flavors included on a charcuterie board. I haven't told my dog yet so, shhh...it's a surprise! Smiley Very Happy

Going to Trader Joe's is a fun experience. It's really no wonder they have such a huge following of devoted shoppers. Smiley Happy

ITA.  I have grocery shopping, but love and look forward to shopping at TJ.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trader Joe’s

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset 

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I have never seen the appeal in Trader Joe's...

They sell brands I've never heard of.  There is one not far from me, but I don't go in there.  Nothing for me in there.

They only sell TJ brand

I do all my shopping there.  Have no problem finding what I need.  Also don,t have to watch the register at checkout like SAFEWAY AND ESPECIALLY RALEY,S.  Always a mistake of at least a dollar an item.

Raley,s French bread 1.98, register charged 2.48.  Honey crisp apples 2.69 lb.. Register rang up 2.99 a lb.  I told mgrs. and called corporate and 6 month later still not changed.  

An elderly home near it and a lot buy there.  I hope they look at their receipts. I don,t have this problem @TJ.

Trusted Contributor

I have shopped Trader Joe’s for year's. When I lived in AR I would drive two hours a every month to go to TJ’s and Costco in Tulsa. Now, I live down the street and am in there 3-4 times a week. I do 90% of my shopping there.

Respected Contributor

I cannot imagine my like without TJ's Pancake bread with my morning coffee!

A681FCC2-E225-4949-9042-02D02247FCE9.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I think Trader Joe's can be an acquired taste. Going in the first time you might think, wow this is small, it doesn't carry nearly the items my regular grocery does, so what is the big deal?

Truth be told I pick up groceries at any one of 6-8 grocery stores, but I have certain things I do buy at TJs and go there at least once a week if not more frequently. I don't purchase many pre-packaged/frozen ready to eat items, but do buy things like San Marzano tomatoes, broccolini, delicata squash (yay--it's in season), fruit, nuts, quinoa, lentils, nutritional yeast, spices, almond flour and their Sicilian olive oil (very highly rated).

When entertaining their cheese selection is great. Add TJs whipped cream cheese topped with their hot pepper jelly, their everything crackers, some grapes and you have quick, company-worthy appetizers to be served with their very affordable wines.

I wouldn't write it off after only one visit. Oh and the best part is they have the very best staff--ever!

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

I think Trader Joe's can be an acquired taste. Going in the first time you might think, wow this is small, it doesn't carry nearly the items my regular grocery does, so what is the big deal?

Truth be told I pick up groceries at any one of 6-8 grocery stores, but I have certain things I do buy at TJs and go there at least once a week if not more frequently. I don't purchase many pre-packaged/frozen ready to eat items, but do buy things like San Marzano tomatoes, broccolini, delicata squash (yay--it's in season), fruit, nuts, quinoa, lentils, nutritional yeast, spices, almond flour and their Sicilian olive oil (very highly rated).

When entertaining their cheese selection is great. Add TJs whipped cream cheese topped with their hot pepper jelly, their everything crackers, some grapes and you have quick, company-worthy appetizers to be served with their very affordable wines.

I wouldn't write it off after only one visit. Oh and the best part is they have the very best staff--ever!

And speaking of crackers, the Red Chili Scalloped Crackers are delicious, with or without a topper.  In addition to their wine, I like the Trader Jose light beer too.

Respected Contributor
I'm shocked that you were disappointed. We love TJ. Getting one very close to us & can't wait for it to open. Very good prices compared to regular grocery stores. I haven't been able to go to 1 store to get everything on my list since the pandemic started.