Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I have four sets of Martex towels I bought years and years ago.  They are perfect in size and thickness, not too big and just thick enough to dry nicely.  Martex does not make those anymore and I won't buy the ones they have on the market today.  I saw a review recently where the purchaser said if you are looking for your mom's Martex towels they don't make them anymore, today's are scratchy and rough.  I immediately thought of myself as "your mom's towels" because that is what I have, perfection, love them.  One other thing I can say about them is that they are as beautiful and usable as they were the day I bought them, talk about quality, these can't be beat.

@Lindsays Grandma

I'm a big fan of the vintage towel as well.

I have many sets from the 70's and 80's and a lot of odd single towels from that era, that you just can't wear out, they don't pick and run, you can wash them in hot water and use a hot dryer, and they don't lint up the other clothing in the load. 

What happened to that quality?! 

Today's towels in general are just junk. I've tired expensive ones, cheap ones, and in between. I have found an occasional offering that is better than most, but in the overall picture, today's 'advancements' in towels, well I'd say shove them up the dryer vent, as they don't exist for me!

Honored Contributor

Lighter in weight; soft yet dry quicker.  I have the 'Threshold Botanic' (cotton/Tencel) from Target and the 'Wamsutta Hygro Duet' (100% cotton) from Bed Bath & Beyond.

Honored Contributor

bath towels get washed nightly .

I like the heavy towels do does dh. 

I like the towels made in the USA. Walmart was selling them, (plant is down in Georgia). These towels are soft and absorbant.

Respected Contributor

I used to like a heavy, fluffy towel; not anymore. It takes several launderings to get rid of the lint off those types of towels, they take too long to dry, and they're too heavy to wrap around my hair after a shampoo or shower. When my child went to college, I bought Martha Stewart Quick-Dry towels from Macy's. My child likes them because they're not too heavy, and they don't take long to dry. I like them for the same reasons, and I like the classic design and variety of colors. Macy's sometimes has wonderful sales on them and I continue to buy them for my child and for me.

Honored Contributor

I am just thinking “ out loud”. It just seems nutty to me that so many people wash their bath towels after each time of drying a just scrubbed cleaned body, but some of the same people will wear a bra that is next to sweaty arm pits and bare skin all day for several days in a row.

I don’t get it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks!  I made a list re: Target, BB&B, Macy's Martha S.  I haven't yet read all of the suggestions, though, regarding lightweight, quick-dry options.   Keep safe.  Keep wishing and hoping for rain over the fire areas. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am just thinking “ out loud”. It just seems nutty to me that so many people wash their bath towels after each time of drying a just scrubbed cleaned body, but some of the same people will wear a bra that is next to sweaty arm pits and bare skin all day for several days in a row.

I don’t get it.

Which is why they get used more than once around here!

Honored Contributor

Carmie:  Several of my friends who shower twice a day do use the same towels.   I'm going to do the same.  I guess that I just haven't thought about it lately.   Many folks years ago used the same towels.  It was the norm.  Saves water, washer/dryer energy, too.  'All in all' it's a good idea as long as the towels have completely dried in-between use.  I can't wait to purchase quick-drying towels. ( I'm only guessing that the reason why folks don't re-use towels is because their towels end up being wet/damp because they're too thick, too heavy. )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).