Respected Contributor

The sadness is exhausting UPDATE

There is some good news on the horizon:

Our loved one with the ALS diagnosis is a strong possibility to be approved for a VERY new (in this country) medicine that will slow the progression of the ALS.  It is the first drug in decades showing any promise.  The downside is the tx costs almost $200,000 a year and insurance will pay for 80%.

The sad news is we have 1 loved one in the hospital now with an infection related to his cancer.    ugghhh.

and today I was witness to a horrific car accident this morning.  Single car accident -went off the road.  Police checked in with me just recently as part of the investigation.  The only thing they could tell me was still in surgery and that it was very, very bad.  My heart aches for his loved ones.  

I am more thankful for every blessing I have right now........

Honored Contributor

Re: The sadness is exhausting UPDATE

oh my mememe I am so very sorry to hear of the news you have had to witness  as of late.

so little I can say to allveiate the heavy heart you are experiencing now. Just know I am here.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl,   I receive my biological medicine free through the manufacturer of the drug and a foundation.  I have been doing this for over 6 years.  My medicine is in the thousands but not nearly as much as $200,000.  Contact the manufacturer to see if they offer any type of program or have foundations.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl,   I receive my biological medicine free through the manufacturer of the drug and a foundation.  I have been doing this for over 6 years.  My medicine is in the thousands but not nearly as much as $200,000.  Contact the manufacturer to see if they offer any type of program or have foundations.  Cat Happy

I am so glad you passed this information on to mememe.  Many people do not know what is available out there.  When my dear friend was fighting breast cancer she received medication from a manufacturer which would have cost her $6,000 a month. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

my beautiful cousin, Michele, who was also my godchild, died of ALS complications at the age of 44 three years ago.  To learn that there may be anything to slow the progession is very good news to me.

Sending prayers for your family membersHeart.

Honored Contributor

I believe you have angels surrounding you.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Strength and hugs to you.

Regarding the drug: my son was on an experimental drug that was $1500 for 3 doses ( 2 doses a day); he was to take it for a month...NOT covered by insurance. I found out that only ONE company makes it in the US for US and Canada and.....it was 10 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE.  I called them and by going directly to them, I was able to receive a HUGE discount. In the end, the drug didn't help but at least we and his medical team were able to eliminate this drug and others like it from his care plus....it told his doctors things about his medical condition. To us, that was still a win.  

Whenever there is an expensive drug that is not or only partially covered by insurance, I now contact the company directly- I have yet to not receive some type of assistance from the company directly. I wish you all the best and those dear to your heart.