Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 617
Registered: ‎08-03-2011

I will keep you posted.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,349
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
I've been going to my current stylist for about a year. Last fall her sister passed after a long struggle with cancer. She was married with a young child. It was very sad, and my stylist had talked to me about it while her sister was still alive. After she passed, my stylist talked to me a lot about the funeral, the family, etc. SHE always brought it up, and I felt that it made her feel better to get it out with an objective person. I always listened as long as she wanted to talk about it, but I never brought it up. The last couple of times she has not brought it up, and I don't either. I assume she doesn't want to talk about it anymore. Your stylist should be the same with you. I'm really curious as to why she continues to bring this up. I agree with the others....You just have to be blunt about it.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,839
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

That's not right. I would tell her nicely to please stop doing that!

That reminds me, DH and I were at the stylist the other day (Yes we go together, he hates barber cuts, b/c they butcher his hair).

Anyway, usually when we go its weekday afternoons and its just her, but this time the other stylists were in too being it was the weekend.

I cant believe how they all talk about personal issues. This includes the stylists AND the customers.

We are there to get our hair cut only, we don't talk about personal things with her. We keep the conversation light and non personal.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,065
Registered: ‎03-10-2010
On 3/9/2015 Shorty2U said:

That's not right. I would tell her nicely to please stop doing that!

That reminds me, DH and I were at the stylist the other day (Yes we go together, he hates barber cuts, b/c they butcher his hair).

Anyway, usually when we go its weekday afternoons and its just her, but this time the other stylists were in too being it was the weekend.

I cant believe how they all talk about personal issues. This includes the stylists AND the customers.

We are there to get our hair cut only, we don't talk about personal things with her. We keep the conversation light and non personal.

I noticed that too, and it's not something I do either. I really think that a lot of people think of their hairstylists as their therapists. They confide in them, ask their advice, etc. I would never do that.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎12-08-2014

This is more "put your big girl panties on" advice. You need to act like a mature adult. You can do that in one of two ways. You can call her on the telephone before your next appointment and explain to that while you appreciate her support for your situation, it's still sensitive and painful for you and you don't like talking about. So, you would appreciate it if she did not bring up the subject anymore. If you don't want to call her, the next time you go into the shop, ask to speak with her privately and tell her how you feel. The woman is not a mind reader. You have never indicated to her that you don't want to discuss the matter. You sit there and listen...every time. So how could she possibly know?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎12-08-2014
On 3/9/2015 Topaz Gem said:
On 3/9/2015 Shorty2U said:

That's not right. I would tell her nicely to please stop doing that!

That reminds me, DH and I were at the stylist the other day (Yes we go together, he hates barber cuts, b/c they butcher his hair).

Anyway, usually when we go its weekday afternoons and its just her, but this time the other stylists were in too being it was the weekend.

I cant believe how they all talk about personal issues. This includes the stylists AND the customers.

We are there to get our hair cut only, we don't talk about personal things with her. We keep the conversation light and non personal.

I noticed that too, and it's not something I do either. I really think that a lot of people think of their hairstylists as their therapists. They confide in them, as their advice, etc. I would never do that.


OMG! You are so right. I like getting my hair done but I really do hate the whole hairdresser atmosphere. There are times when I can't believe the conversations that flying all over the shop. Too much information for me! My hairstylist is the type who talks and talks and discloses all types of personal information about herself that I'd really rather not know...I don't even answer....but that doesn't stop her. I think she just likes having an audience.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 39,119
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

OP, from your initial comment I couldn't tell if it was your loss or hers .... but even if you do it badly, you need to shut her up, or go elsewhere.

A grown woman should be able to stand up for herself. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,614
Registered: ‎03-12-2010
On 3/9/2015 Chrystaltree said:

This is more "put your big girl panties on" advice. You need to act like a mature adult. You can do that in one of two ways. You can call her on the telephone before your next appointment and explain to that while you appreciate her support for your situation, it's still sensitive and painful for you and you don't like talking about. So, you would appreciate it if she did not bring up the subject anymore. If you don't want to call her, the next time you go into the shop, ask to speak with her privately and tell her how you feel. The woman is not a mind reader. You have never indicated to her that you don't want to discuss the matter. You sit there and listen...every time. So how could she possibly know?

In all fairness, it was her other son who told her hairdresser regarding the terrible loss of her son. She stated on this thread that she is a private person. Personally, I think she has been very understanding of her hairdresser's constant references to this tragedy. What kind of ignorant person keeps talking about such a terrible loss?
Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015
On 3/9/2015 fourpaws said:

I would kick her in the shin and tell her to shut it!

Not wise to kick someone who has scissors by your head.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,415
Registered: ‎03-10-2010
Go find another stylist....life is too short to have to feel you need to dwell on the same old question regarding a loss.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G