Respected Contributor

Re: Top 10 most-reputable countries to travel to (& reside in)

@Stray wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Oh so according to this "list" Europe good Middle East bad? as I do not see Jordan or Israel listed or Arab Emirates. 

@AngusandBuddhasMom- I don't think the criteria was based on the country itself but what people seek and what a Country offers...."peace and happiness" was one of the criteria and that isn't readily available in the ME.  

I know what the criteria is and again I don't see why these countries were omitted. Having family in the ME I can say that peace and happiness can be found there just like anywhere else. People there are the same as people anywhere.

@AngusandBuddhasMom-because it was a  survey and that was their finding based on respondents and what they were seeking in terms of "peace and happiness" not opinion or a commentary on a Country or region; its data.  "happiness" is relative and very personal.  

Again noted thanks. That being said your prior post which made me reply back went beyond the "survey" 

Honored Contributor

These countries are very beautiful and a joy to visit.  I doubt many famiilies could afford to retire in any of the listed countries.  We have been researching other countries to live in after retirement.  Anyone here have friends who have chosen to reitre in Costa Rica, Peru, or Thailand?

Honored Contributor

We've visited and thoroughly enjoyed 8 out of 10 of these countries.

We've encountered lovely people and spectacular sights.  That being said, the US has lovely people and spectacular sights.  In all these countries, there were also some unpleasantries.  The hardest thing for me to swallow was the amount of taxes the citizens of these countries pay.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We've encountered lovely people and spectacular sights.  That being said, the US has lovely people and spectacular sights.  In all these countries, there were also some unpleasantries.  The hardest thing for me to swallow was the amount of taxes the citizens of these countries pay.

My sister lives in Australia and tax for them is about 50%. She also chooses to pay for private insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

My sister lives in Australia and tax for them is about 50%. She also chooses to pay for private insurance.

One of the men in our group had a serious health issue while in Australia; he was a doctor himself from Cleveland Clinic.  He was impressed with the doctor, the treatment and the speed with which he was treated.  The people I spoke to did like their national health plan, called, Medicare, ironically but most were quite young.  Australia is one Country I would feel safe in if I had a medical emergency.   I worry about that when I travel as I age.  I don't feel the same way in Europe tho I travel there often.  

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

One of the men in our group had a serious health issue while in Australia; he was a doctor himself from Cleveland Clinic.  He was impressed with the doctor, the treatment and the speed with which he was treated.  The people I spoke to did like their national health plan, called, Medicare, ironically but most were quite young.  Australia is one Country I would feel safe in if I had a medical emergency.   I worry about that when I travel as I age.  I don't feel the same way in Europe tho I travel there often.  

Hi Stray, I can only think the med. care may depend on where you live. My sisters MIL broke her hip last year and couldn't walk. They scheduled her for 3 months away. Finally got her into hospital in 2 and a half months. She lives 5 hours outside of Sydney in a small town.

My sis is in Sydney and just feels more comfortable having her own doctors.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Hi Stray, I can only think the med. care may depend on where you live. My sisters MIL broke her hip last year and couldn't walk. They scheduled her for 3 months away. Finally got her into hospital in 2 and a half months. She lives 5 hours outside of Sydney in a small town.

My sis is in Sydney and just feels more comfortable having her own doctors.

@proudlyfromNJ- Hi, the people I spoke to about healthcare were very young and probably had not used it much or for anything serious.   I guess that long hospital wait is typical with the socialized system; it's the same in Canada and Italy.  If I were your sister, I would do the same.  I live part time in Italy outside Sienna and tore a ligament in my ankle.  My neighbor sent me to his Vet lol....I guess an ankle is an ankle but he xrayed it, advised ice, wrapped it and antiinflammatories.  The clinic nearby is questionable.  I have since found a doctor in Sienna!  So your sister uses an Australian private insurer and Australian trained doctors?  I love Sydney!