Honored Contributor

Top 10 most-reputable countries to travel to (& reside in)

[ Edited ]

Most of these also provide a wonderful quality of life for their citizens. Woman Happy

Any other health-conscious nature lovers (besides me) thinking of relocating?  Cat Tongue

Now THAT'S commanding respect: Sweden named as the country with the best reputation (but the UK and US fail to make the top 10)

• Scandinavian nations nab top spots on the 2016 Most Reputable Countries
  • Findings from Reputation Institute measure perception and reputation
  • Sweden, Canada, Switzerland, Australia and Norway make up the top five

If you're looking for your next holiday destination 2016's list of Most Reputable Countries is a good place to start.

With their spectacular fjords, unspoiled landscapes and friendly reputation the Scandinavian nations rank the highest.

The bustle of vibrant Stockholm, an untouched coastline and a global status as socially liberal and welcoming helped Sweden nab the number one spot.

Sweden (Stockholm pictured) ranked highest in the 2016 Most Reputable Countries list by the Reputation Institute

1. Sweden

2. Canada

3. Switzerland

4. Australia

5. Norway

6. Finland

7. New Zealand

8. Denmark

9. Ireland

10. Netherlands 

From the 2016 Country RepTrak® from the Reputation Institute

Norway, Finland, Denmark and the Netherlands are all in the top 10, too.

The ranking, which measures how countries are perceived and respected worldwide, was calculated for the annual survey by Boston-based consulting firm the Reputation Institute.

The nations were ranked using answers from an online questionnaire filled out by 48,000 residents of G8 states.

They were asked to judge a place's safety, beauty, progressive social and economic policies, effective government and friendly attitude to visitors and 11 other attributes.

The data revealed that a country's reputation isn't tied to its size or power, whether physically or in global politics. 

Peace and happiness is an important indicator of a country's overall placement. 

Scandinavian countries Norway (above), Finland, Denmark and the Netherlands also scored well as they were judged safe, beautiful, socially and politically progressive and friendly to visitors in the online survey

Trusted Contributor

Re: Top 10 most-reputable countries to travel to (& reside in)

I think "reputable" is a strange way to describe a country and I'm not sure what beauty has to do with being reputable.

I've been to 7 of the 10 and agree they are beautiful countries with mostly friendly tourist related workers and were well worth a visit.  Many of those countries, as well as a number of others that I've visited, would be great places to live, especially if you have interest in other cultures.      

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

Thanks for sharing. Quite interesting 🙂

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy That is wonderful to know since our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren live in Sweden.Woman Very Happy

Our other son went to Sweden for  3 weeks in April and I'm going with him next time.

Our DIL is half-Swedish. She said all I need is my passport and a Visa card.

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago we spent 29 days traveling through Europe.  We traveled all over many of those countries (not Australia and a few others).

Out of all of them I remember how blue and beautiful the water was in Switzerland.  I remember riding down a mountain in Zermatt (we stayed there at the Matterhorn) and my daughter said, "Is everyone buckled up"?  There were no guard rails coming down.  It was pouring down raining.  When I saw the picture it reminded me about that.

My daughter is going to England and France for a little over 2 weeks this summer.  She has 4 children and her husband.  She's revisiting some of what we saw.

I'm glad I saw it then because there are problably things that you can't do now that we got to do then.  Every year it will get more difficult to do some things.

I'd say for people to go now while you can because I think it is only going to get less and less safe.

Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's all great until it isn't, those lists are not credible for too many reasons to list imo.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful countries, @feline groovy.  Maybe the better word would have been stable but I get what you meant😊

Honored Contributor

Out of the 10, there is only one that I would definitely want to see - Ireland, and two I might want to visit but not desperately - Australia and NZ. I have no interest in visiting the others. Everyone's travel interests are different, but visiting neat, tidy, "safe" places doesn't interest me per se. I'm not interested in the historic sites, or even the food very much, of the remaining countries. JMO and to each his or her own.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've only visited Canada out of the 10 and I consider myself a world traveler!-- LOL.

However, that looks like a picture of Lake Constance which borders Switzerland (and Germany and Austria) which I have visited. 

There is no desire to go anywhere else at this point, I travel so much within this country now and it's all about seeing the people I want to see--more than anything.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had just said to my husband and children the other week, IF I was younger, I would move to Australia forever. Because I love our country dont get me wrong but Im tired of things that go on here such as the violence, and greed by many. But Im not young (lol) so I will be staying in the USA.

And I might add, our country should take a lesson from these other countries.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles