Respected Contributor

Re: Today Would Have Been.....

@pattypeep @Poodlepet2  Such kindness and thoughtfulness! My dad never said I love you either, but we knew. He showed us in other ways that I did not understand until I had my own son! Happy Holidays!

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep  Hugs. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@pattypeep, if it helps at all, she probably didn't received the same from her folks. Our parents didn't hug and kiss and say I love you, but there was never any doubt. Children learn from what they live. In today's world I see more, I love you's and hugs (love hugs) should call them huggies! I'm happy to see that too. I'm sure in some respect you were loved, they just weren't demonstrative. A lot of parents weren't.

@qualitygal I'm sure you are right. Three of my grandparents were gone before I was born and I barely knew my mother's dad because he lived on the East Coast and we were in the PNW. Interesting, though, my aunt (my mother's sister) was the total opposite. She loved and showed it. I remember my aunt writing to me and telling me to come and live with her because I was so sad at home.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep

Today marks 20 years of when my dad went home to be with the Lord.  It's so hard to believe it's been 20 years since I've seen him.  It doesn't seem like that long  Smiley Sad

Dad never hugged or kissed either. Never an "I love you" until he was on his death bed.  But he was a good dad; he was an awesome provider and took good care of my mom and us kids. 

After he passed, that's when mom would tell us she loved us (she always kissed us).  They were raised in a generation that didn't hug, kiss or say "I love you".  But we loved our parents regardless.

Happy Birthday to your Mom, Twopeas.  She'll always be a part of you - no matter what  Smiley Happy  ((((((((hugs)))))))))

Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991  Thank you. Your comment brought something to mind about my dad. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he came over to my house and apologized for something that he did to me when I was just a toddler. My mother had told the story when I grew up (although I don't know why she wanted to tell me). When I was very small, I gagged on my food at the dinner table. My dad back handed me and knocked me backwards out of the chair. I ended up in emergency. Mom said they had to lie about what happened because dad was in the service and there would have been repercussions. I told dad that I didn't remember (which was true) and if I did remember, that I would forgive him. He just needed to say that before he died.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

twopeas, what a wonderful daughter with a good heart. happy holidays to you and happy birthday to your mom ❤

Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep

You got me all teared up, girl. 

I think that was commendable of your dad.  Can you imagine the fact that he carried that around with him all that time?  That generation burdoned themselves with so much stuff.  He was pretty courageous for wanting to confess something like that.

Glad you didn't remember it.  I'm sure that made your dad feel better Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep ~ I'm happy that through your own peace and understanding with the personal issues you experienced with your mom, she was blessed to recieve the same from you.  Christmas Eve is my fathers birthday, he would've been 101!  He was not an

emotional man, rarely expressed his feelings (there were occasions).  All in all, I knew he loved my brother and me, which he showed in many ways. Dad was a wonderful provider but I think my mother took care of him as well as my brother and me.  Mom was always there with a warm hug, kiss on the cheek and an I love you!  Happy 101st Birthday dad!🎄🌹🎄 

Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@pattypeep

You got me all teared up, girl. 

I think that was commendable of your dad.  Can you imagine the fact that he carried that around with him all that time?  That generation burdoned themselves with so much stuff.  He was pretty courageous for wanting to confess something like that.

Glad you didn't remember it.  I'm sure that made your dad feel better Smiley Happy

@Qshopper1991, aww, didn't want you to tear up. Yes, I agree that he was courageous for his confession. He was a very tough navy man and we were raised with a stern hand, so it must have bothered him very much towards the end and he needed my forgiveness. I am also glad that I was too young to remember.