Esteemed Contributor

After work today, I swung by my dad's bank to close out his accounts.

It was bittersweet remembering all the times that I took him there, and sad knowing that I never will again.

They always took good care of my dad, and were kind to him.

I miss my dad so much!

Then I stopped by Sears, where I worked for 18 years.

They had a big banner that screamed "STORE CLOSING!", and next to it, a much smaller banner that said, "We're Hiring!"

I had to laugh at that.

I started working when I was about 19.

I started out as a janitor, and I actually liked that job.

I was left to my own devices, and as long as I got all my tasks done, they were happy.

I then got promoted to stock replenishment.

That was fun too.

Scanning what needed to be replaced, going in to the stock room and finding what was needed, and putting it out on the floor.

Then I got promoted to the sales floor.

When I left there 12 years ago, I was making a grand total of $9.25 an hour, and I was full-time.

I HATED having to push the Sears card.

It was a requirement, not a suggestion.

When I was left, I was so incredibly unhappy.

Even then, I and other employees could see that the CEO was running the company in to the ground.

It felt sad to see where I had spent so much of my young life, virtually empty.

Sears will always have a special place in my heart.

I'm sad to see it go.

It could have been so great, but Eddie (Lampbert) had to go ruin it all.

Anyway, that's my bittersweet day.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today Is A Bittersweet Day

Sorry for your loss.

It seems the older we get, with loved ones no longer with us and so many familiar things changing, it takes a toll.  But new 'adventures' await - hope tomorrow will be a happier day!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you are satisfied with the way you've lived your life so far, reminiscing is good for the soul, good luck in the future.

Honored Contributor

As life goes on we try to move forward and enjoy each day as it comes.  However, we do remember those who passed, places we used to work at or visit often, all those acquaintances and friends who have passed through our lives.  We tend to reminisce , be sentimental and think of the good old days even thought there were bad days also. 

I relate to your post and understand.  You will get through these times and make new memories,  you will have peaceful days and think about your life with sadness but also with contentment for all the happy memories and they are there within your heart.  We never forget those who have gone and we cherish the times we had together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It makes me sad too @Anonymous032819 . When my kids were small I used to get some of their clothes from sears. My daughter had the cutest dresses from their Winnie the Pooh line. They were like Polly Flinders with pinafores and smocking

If you bought Sears  Best ,it was as good as any name brand appliance..Time marches on, and sometimes it marches right over our hearts

Happier days are coming @Anonymous032819 ..I promise

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   It is good you have such nice memories of your Dad - also the good memories of your earlier employment.  Cherish those as you go forward to new abd better things which I am sure await you in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

"beautiful~~" I just read- I just signed on 10 minutes ago. 

I felt that deep tug. I have one, too. I want to gather my thoughts. I am not here often as I was -even -3 months ago.

I treasure your story. I can, in many events within my life relate. Yes, a bittersweet day. I understand. I had to wait after the Heart ....I miss my dad so much!

`` was 'my' pause until later

Heart @Anonymous032819 

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I'm sorry about your Dad. Memories, good and bad return as others have said. 
   When I think of Sears I recall my Father visiting the nut counter and ordering strange fractions of a pound of cashews. I asked him why not 1/4 lb? He explained that the clerks aren't accustomed to other fractions and always give him more! (He was an engineer, so loved figures). 
    Sears was where I had my first job during the Christmas season. I worked in Ladies accessories selling hats and handbags wearing high heels. (I hated giving change because the registers didn't tell me I had to think). 
   All these memories are parts of our lives, some good, some bad. We are still learning.

Take care. 

Respected Contributor

I bet it was a bittersweet day, @Anonymous032819.   There is something so final about closing a bank account of a parent after they have passed away.  And you have many memories associated with Sears.  I am sure both of these things just tugged at your heart.  Hope you have a good evening and a better day tomorrow!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

I bet it was a bittersweet day, @Anonymous032819.   There is something so final about closing a bank account of a parent after they have passed away.  And you have many memories associated with Sears.  I am sure both of these things just tugged at your heart.  Hope you have a good evening and a better day tomorrow!

@pitdakota 

You are so right, @pitdakota , it did feel so final.

It was just one more reminder that my dear, sweet daddy really is gone.

That, and my first birthday without him is coming up soon.

I can't help but to feel the loss.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.