Honored Contributor

Re: Today Is A Bittersweet Day

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

Bittersweet has a different context for me. Sure, I occasionally think of things of the past. Birthdays? Never meant much to me other than "old enough to drive/old enough to get drafted/old enough to vote/old enough to drink/old enough to collect SS".

Never had a dad, the drunk thankfully left when I was too young to remember him. My mom died when I was 29, 51 years ago. 

The "bittersweet day" for me? Since my mom died, which was on February 14th, Valentine's Day, same day as her mother 13 years earlier and same day as her father 13 years prior to her mother. Father/Mother, and then my mother all died, 13 years apart, and on Valentine's Day.

That is the "bitter" part of that specific day. The "sweet" part I/We added on Valentine's Day in 2002. That is the specific day my wife and I got married in 2002. Now I have 2 emotions when that day comes each year, not just the "bitter/sad" emotion I had for decades.

Other than that?  Looking at my more recent decade/plus!  Where I am today pretty much cancels out my looking back at those times. My preference is looking at today, and maybe another tomorrow, as gifts. Reminiscing now is a very small portion of my days, but will always be a part of who I was, and who I am today.

hckynut

hckynut(john)