Respected Contributor

Re: Today Is A Bittersweet Day

I so understand @Anonymous032819.  That first birthday without a parent is a hard one.  It is absolutely normal to feel that loss on all of the first big events or holidays you face after a love one is gone.  Will send you advance cyber hugs in anticipation of that birthday coming up.  But just know, it does get better.  The loss never goes away, but it does get better.   The acute pain and distress of grief does soften with time.  Heart

I lost my father now 7 years ago.  Doesn't seem like it is that long  in a way.  I still miss him & think about him all of the time.  And I will admit my first birthday after he passed was really difficult.  No matter how old I was, he always made a big deal of my birthday.  Every single year he would send a beautiful birthday card, even though we lived not 10 miles apart.  And inside that card would be a piece of Juicy Fruit chewing gum (which had a special meaning) taped to the inside of the card.  Not to mention that he made sure Mom scheduled my birthday dinner and he would have some kind of neat kind of celebration momento on the table for that dinner. I cried and cried on that first birthday without him.  Now, that has become a very warm & special memory.  So hang in there! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  we will celebrate your birthday right here, if you don't want to feel alone. I will throw you a  party ,and everyone will be welcome

It is up to you, of course...you might prefer to do something else, and that is fine

Honored Contributor

I understand.  I lost my Dad 2 yrs. ago.  I think of him often. I miss his hugs and his understanding.  When I think of him I have to laugh because he was so funny. He made everyone laugh.  When he asked me how I was....I always knew he really wanted to know. I never left to go home but that he didn't tell me he loved me.  I feel for you. We have our memories and those we can hold dear.

As far as Sears.....I see so many of these stores once thriving where I worked, too.  I am sorry to see them go.

Respected Contributor

Your words resonate with so many of us. Yes, so many things from past tug at our hearts daily.
Respected Contributor

Reading these posts more carefully brought a big memory of my dad to mind. Visited Sears tool department many times since dad a carpenter and valued his tools. Oh the choices and size of that store!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819   I was the one who handled things when my father died.

I couldn't let go of his car, of all things.  It was just a small Plymouth from the late '60s, not worth much.  I kept it in our back yard.

I finally decided it was time and had it towed away.  That had to be the worst-watching that car being towed away.  I actually felt guilty-as though I was getting rid of him and his memory.

I don't live in my native state anymore, so I don't get to see places from childhood and jobs while in school or places I went with DS and/or DH.

But I remember.

I think you have a very healthy perspective; you remember happy times and you are mourning the loss of your father at the same time.  Your focus is balanced.

I wish you well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

(((hugs))) to you @Anonymous032819 

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   So sorry for the loss of your Dad. Losing a parent shocks us to see our own mortality and make the most of our time left here. 

Our Sears store closed, too leaving a lot of memories of shopping for all major appliances, vacuum cleaners, etc. Oh well, it happens. Happy you have good memories to savor.

Trusted Contributor

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to lose a parent. Keep his love close to you in your heart, Time will heal the pain and bring you close to him again. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

I can certainly relate to all you have said, although I never worked at Sears or at retails.  My father lived a few years after my mom, but the were not healthy years.  When he died, my sis and I had to handle what few things remained.  Closing accounts is always difficult.  

Sears was a beloved store as I was growing up.  It meant you had "arrived" when you could order something from them.  At least in my little town it did.  We were all poor, but didn't know it.  Our parents worked, we had food and homes and....we got to order something special from Sears now and then.  Life was good!

I still have their last catalog and cannot bring myself to throw it away.  And, I am ruthless about throwing things away or donating them.

Think I'll take it down in the next few days and look at it.

Seeing Sears run down from poor management is sad.