Honored Contributor

I was astounded to see that video on the news, @Nancy Drew .   I think you have started a valuable discussion.

I think there are certain guidelines (in my world view) for such a situation.  First, I'll say that like most people, I am loath to have my personal space invaded by a stranger.  I'm not even a natural "hugger" of strangers, and have had to train myself to the occasional light embrace, esp. given the sweet, harmless hugging ladies at church, ha.

But as annoying as it must have been for the man, he exhibtied a shocking lack of control in that repetitive, thuggish, petulant punching of her seat.  From the angle I couldn't tell how far her seat was reclined in his space.  

If I were her, and I had a physical condition that required some reclining of the seat, I would have inquired of the man first if he minded, or how much "reclination" he'd be able to tolerate.  If I were him, I'd try to graciously work with her to a level of recline that wouldn't be too invasive yet give her relief.

Acknowledging that it's an awkward situation for all, it's never acceptable in the situation depicted, to lose control to the extent that you are childishly pummeling the seat ahead.  Work with the airline staff if you must, but don't put on a display like that.  There needs to be grace, and simple human kindness, even in tight, uncomfortable conditions. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Well said osnell. You sound like an intelligent and thoughtful person. Too bad these two hard hardheaded individuals couldn't comprise and find a solution that worked for both. If the lady had a neck problem before she got on the plane I can't imagine how her neck felt after having this man pummel the seat over and over. His behavior was childish but why didn't she as they say return her seat to the upright position? It seems that these days flight attendants have almost unlimited power in dealing with passengers over even the slightest "offense." I don't understand why the airline couldn't have done something, anything to stop this. 

Respected Contributor

i do not want someone's head in my lap - so i do refrain from more than a slight recline respecting others' space. i always hope for the same consideration from others.  we have so little of it as it is on airplanes.

Trusted Contributor

Airline seats in the coach section of the plane should no longer recline.  Simple.  There is not enough space.  Airlines can solve this problem by removing that feature.  People are not courteous enough to care about the person behind.  

Respected Contributor

Re: To Recline Or Not?

[ Edited ]

I'll think she'll regret doing this     He must not have been punching the seat hard enough to stop her from reclining?

Honored Contributor

My experience is that the amount the seats are able to recline has lessened which is a good thing.  IMO, seats should not recline at all.

Personally, we either pay extra for an exit row seat or even first class.  I am too old to squeeze myself into the increasingly smaller seats on an airplane.

Honored Contributor

I think they both behaved badly..

Honored Contributor

maybe some travelers need to purchase this gadget?

The Knee Defender is a device that an airplane passenger can place on the struts that support his/her drop-down airplane seat tray table to limit the extent to which the seat directly in front of him/her can be reclined. The device was invented by Ira Goldman, and it was first sold to the public in 2003.

knee defender.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

They were BOTH idiots.

"I think that the proper thing to do is ... you ask if it's OK first,"

said Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian.

There was an etiquette person who said that, as well.

Like the old adage goes,

'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should'

Esteemed Contributor

I have not seen the video. 

But, this day and age, if I was doing something that was obviously making a stranger mad, I think I'd try to stop. 

Because we don't know who is capable of what, and who didn't take their meds and the list goes on.