Honored Contributor

I didn’t see the video but it sounds to me like they are equals in the rude behavior.If the lady had neck problems as she claims then the constant banging of her seat would be more painful than just raiding her seat back to upright position for the flight.I have some neck problems and get headaches as a result so I couldn’t endure the constant banging on my seat.

Honored Contributor

The woman videoed it, because she wanted to escalate what had happened. She is no better than he is

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The woman videoed it, because she wanted to escalate what had happened. She is no better than he is

I agree and it seems to me that she likes to get her way and is without consideration for others.

Respected Contributor

I don't think he would have behaved that way if she were a man.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

If it were a man ,he might have punched him, instead of the chair

Honored Contributor

I also think they are both at fault.  I did  see the vidwo and it's making me dread my upcoming flight to Fl....I really hate flying!

As for reclining, if I do it will only be a few inches not the full recline which isn't all that much today depending on the airline.

Trusted Contributor

First and foremost the airlines are to blame. They keep making the seat areas smaller and smaller. And the prices keep going up. The throw in delays and all the other fees. This is what adds to the stress of people flying. I am not defending either one of them. People seem to turn into animals while flying. 
the last time I flew from Vegas to Philly I was in the row in front of the bathroom. It was a red eye. I got lucky. The seat reclined. The 3 of us in my row did not have to worry about bothering anyone. I mostly fly red eyes as most people sleep and almost everyone reclines. When I am not in a back row and a day flight I won't recline. I just do not want to make the person behind me have less room. It is just common courtesy.  It is so much easier to be respectful. 

I do agree that the seat puncher would have not done that to a man. He probably has road rage too. 

Honored Contributor

I have been on many long, long flights...up to 23 hours on trips to Asia.  I would never recline my seat unless I asked the person behind me if it was okay.

I once got stuck in the last seat that did not recline like the man in the video.  It is a terrible small seat and if someone reclines, it is really bad.  I am short, 5'1", so I don't need much leg room, but do not want someone in my lap.

Once when my DH, DS and myself flew back from Hawaii, we were seated in bulkhead seats.  Those seats that have no one in front of you.  The trays are in the armrests and you cannot stow anything under the seat in front of you since there aren't any.

When I got up to use the restroom, I noticed a family behind me.  The gentleman appeared to be super tall and very uncomfortable.  I asked him if he wanted to trade seats with me so he would have leg room.  He agreed.  When he stood up, he towered over me.  He said he was 6'8".  He joined my husband and son and I sat with his wife and daughter.  It was a pleasant trip.

I saw the video in question.  That lady is an idiot and she got great pleasure baiting the man behind her.  As she was taking the video, she was smiling and getting a kick out of the the whole thing.  The man behind her was tapping the back of her seat with his fingers.  He did not use a closed fist and was not punching her seat.

She was extremely rude and people like her are really bad travelers.  The man behind her could have acted better too.  They were two spoiled brats, each poking one another and acting out.

IMO, the airlines should make the seats and leg room larger to accommodate the comfort of people.  In the meantime, everyone should try to be kind and accommodating and not harass or do things that you know will not be appreciated by other travelers.  Just because you have the right and are able to do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

I would never in a million years recline my seat if I was in front of someone in the last seat on the plane. I am much better than that.

Respected Contributor

I used to fly several times a year for work. Usually, it was a quick trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. 

If I reclined my seat, it was only a couple of inches at most. And, luckily, no one seated in front of me reclined more than that, too. 

Honored Contributor

List of which U.S. airlines offer the best legroom in coach and which offer the least.

While pitch will vary by aircraft, this guide will let you know which seats and planes will get you to your destination the most comfortably.

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/44252939/wild-pitch-us-airlines-with-the-most-legroom-in-econom...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein