Trusted Contributor

Go! The worst that can happen is that you don't like it and won't cruise again. The best is that you enjoy it and make some great memories with your family. I personally love to cruise, I find it very relaxing, and I think most people who say they wouldn't go, have never actually been! The ships these days are huge, you don't feel trapped at all! Everything is taken care of for you, and you do as much or as little as you want. The only time there's a lot of people is checking in - hello, have you been through TSA lately? Same thing!  And people flock to the lunch buffet that first day, but after that, no crowds. Just don't go on a cruise line that caters to the young, like Disney or Carnival, or you'll get what you'd expect. Like anything, it's what you make it! 

Respected Contributor

@BookbabeI always wanted to take a cruise but I was afraid  but it sounds lovely!

I hope you go. Smiley Happy

The closest I ever got to cruising was watching the Love Boat lol!

Esteemed Contributor

I love cruising and have done it as often as possible.  Anywhere from 3 days to 30 days.  Mexico, Europe, South America, Mediterrean, Carribean, Hawaii, South Pacific, Australia, Alaska , Asia, etc.  We prefer an inside cabin, as close to midshipman as possible (less motion).  We know all the tricks and prefer late sitting (less kids) and arranging small group tours with friends we meet on cruise critic or on the ship.  Except for airfare, we try to keep all expenses to $100 per day per person.

Honored Contributor

Re: To Cruise or Not

[ Edited ]

@BookbabeI say don't go just to please them if you are truly anxious about going.  If you go sure you could enjoy it so you have to weigh everything.  Do you not live close to your family so only get to see them occasionally? Maybe worth it to go then but if you see them often is it worth the anxiety you might experience?  I truly do not care for any travel and the packing and all that goes with it.  My family does not get it but the chaos involved in travel and expense just isn't worth any fun I have.

Honored Contributor

It depends on how comfortable you are with ships and what you like to do.  I can't think of much I would choose to do on a cruise ship.  I don't like spa experiences, I'm not really that much into shopping, I can read at home, the food doesn't appeal to me, and the port calls are too short to really get to know a place.

We love visiting museums and historical places, talking to the locals when we visit, coming and going as we please, and "doing" things like sightseeing and seeking out small local restaurants and famous restaurants when in an area.  For some reason, we very much dislike "relaxing" on a vacation.  We want to go and see and do things, and wandering around on a ship just doesn't excite us.  To each his or her own.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Jazzygurl wrote:

Many of these responses are of people allowing their fears to rule them. I used to be the same way and realized that I was missing out on so much because of fear and worry.   I refuse to let my fears control my life anymore.  I have been on many cruises and yes, bad things can happen on a ship.  People have medical emergencies and accidents on ships.  People even die on ships.  I was on a ship last year where a person went overboard.  My next cruise is on the exact ship that was caught in the storm off the coast of North Carolina earlier this year.  I am going anyway.   It happens.  You can either sit and focus on all the bad stuff or you can decide that you are gonna enjoy yourself.  Life is too short.  The way these ships are designed, you can literally forget you or on the open seas. These ships nowadays are beautiful and yes, there may be 5,000 people on the ship, but you will not feel it.  I say focus on enjoying your family and go on the cruise. 

I 1,000% agree!!!!!

People shouldn't let their fears and bad experiences dictate what another person should do!

I am not fond of rollar coasters, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell others that they shouldn't ride them either.

But everyone doesn't handle phobias in the same way.  Some people are so frightened, they have had heart attacks.  Only the OP knows the depth of her fear and how she handles her fears.  As we get older, we can't handle things as we did in our 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s....

Esteemed Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

They'd have to pay me to cruise.......and it would have to be a lot!!  Not afraid of water, but it just seems boring.  I'd rather get to where I'm going and have my fun there instead of wasting time going from one place to another.....

@HULAGIRL- I have no fear of water but recently during my vacation, I had to be on a yacht touring the coast of NZ.  Eight days with three at sea!  I loved the Country, couldn't wait to get off that boat! 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I say don't go just to please them if you are truly anxious about going.  If you go sure you could enjoy it so you have to weigh everything.  Do you not live close to your family so only get to see them occasionally? Maybe worth it to go then but if you see them often is it worth the anxiety you might experience?  I truly do not care for any travel and the packing and all that goes with it.  My family does not get it but the chaos involved in travel and expense just isn't worth any fun I have.

I prefer day trips. I say: " I need a vacation, after my vacation."  I also, do not enjoy sleeping in other beds and the smells of the rooms.

Honored Contributor

Re: To Cruise or Not

[ Edited ]

I went on one cruise with my husband,and our family,from boston to bermuda, i do not want to go again, seas were rough, the ship gets really small after a few days,and it was very large. I have a huge fear of water, but i handled it,the food was just okay.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Go!