Respected Contributor

When DS graduated HS, DH surprised me with a "empty nest cruise".  We had talked about it at length but it never appealed to me but something he wanted to do. I should add that I almost drowned at the age of four and had some fears of the water.  We went on a four day cruise with our BFF's and loved it.  Consequently, over the past 11 years we cruise each year.  Our cabin of choice is a suite/balcony on the very back of the boat.  The only thing we see when we sit on the balcony is the water with the beautiful sunsets and the places we are visiting.  You can do as little or as much as you want.  I hope you do what is best for you.  Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

So - your family knows you are terrified of water and yet they plan this particular vacation to invite you along? I find that very odd.

Honored Contributor

Many people who are terrified of water go on cruises.., they take showers too.  It. Not the same as going In the water.

i am deathly afraid of heights.  I can't even walk up steps that are not enclosed without having great anxiety, but I fly.  I have been is a plane for 23 hours straight... Several times with no fear.  Now, there is no way I am gonna sky dive.

My husband doesn't swim and is scared to death of water, but we own a boat... Two of them in fact.  He has also gone on several cruises.  

If if you and others read the OP's comments, you will see that she is thinking of going and wants to go.  It appears to me that she is looking for reassurance.  So much for that......

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Many people who are terrified of water go on cruises.., they take showers too.  It. Not the same as going In the water.

i am deathly afraid of heights.  I can't even walk up steps that are not enclosed without having great anxiety, but I fly.  I have been is a plane for 23 hours straight... Several times with no fear.  Now, there is no way I am gonna sky dive.

My husband doesn't swim and is scared to death of water, but we own a boat... Two of them in fact.  He has also gone on several cruises.  

If if you and others read the OP's comments, you will see that she is thinking of going and wants to go.  It appears to me that she is looking for reassurance.  So much for that......

Well, my point of view is that if you don't want the truth, and you don't want to hear things/consider things from all angles, then don't ask here.

I'm sure she is looking for reassurance, but that won't be of much use to her in the middle of an ocean when she finds she is in a panic attack because she didn't consider all sides of this journey. 

Oftentimes fear is a limiting thing in people's lives and other times it is a defense mechanisms. Learning to sort which is which can be a struggle for many. 

The bottom line is that the OP is not going to be the only one taking this cruise and affected by her fears, she understands that. While reassurance is helpful, real help is getting real about the fear, what might be done to overcome it, and when it is appropriate to tackle that fear, and when it is not (like in the middle of a family vacation).

Esteemed Contributor

I'd rather encourage the o/p to take the cruise, and to have a good time, than to discourage her, and fill her with fear of things that most likely won't happen.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have a frank talk with my family.  It is wonderful to be with them but there are many ways for family to vacation together.  I am not a fan of cruises but that's me.  You are not afraid of the cruise or about safety but the fact that you are surrounded by something that is terribly frightening to you.  There are classes given for fear of flying where they desensitize you at various heights, maybe there is something for cruising as many people fear water, yet, a cruise appeals to them.  Your trip may be a success or a disaster if you are miserable.  My niece had a similar situation with her mil and everyone had a very bad trip.  You may talk to a psychologist who deals with phobias before you go if you decide to take the cruise.  They will recommend coping skills and mild sedation.  I don't think any of us can advise you as only you know how deep your fear is and how you cope. 

Honored Contributor

I just read where the Coast Guard is looking for a 33 year old woman seen falling off a cruise ship in the Gulf.

Seems to happen quite often, this is at least the second one this year that I happened to read about.  Don't know how many people go missing in the sea, but it's crazy that they end up there.

Stay away from the railings.

Contributor

Many of these responses are of people allowing their fears to rule them. I used to be the same way and realized that I was missing out on so much because of fear and worry.   I refuse to let my fears control my life anymore.  I have been on many cruises and yes, bad things can happen on a ship.  People have medical emergencies and accidents on ships.  People even die on ships.  I was on a ship last year where a person went overboard.  My next cruise is on the exact ship that was caught in the storm off the coast of North Carolina earlier this year.  I am going anyway.   It happens.  You can either sit and focus on all the bad stuff or you can decide that you are gonna enjoy yourself.  Life is too short.  The way these ships are designed, you can literally forget you or on the open seas. These ships nowadays are beautiful and yes, there may be 5,000 people on the ship, but you will not feel it.  I say focus on enjoying your family and go on the cruise. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jazzygurl wrote:

Many of these responses are of people allowing their fears to rule them. I used to be the same way and realized that I was missing out on so much because of fear and worry.   I refuse to let my fears control my life anymore.  I have been on many cruises and yes, bad things can happen on a ship.  People have medical emergencies and accidents on ships.  People even die on ships.  I was on a ship last year where a person went overboard.  My next cruise is on the exact ship that was caught in the storm off the coast of North Carolina earlier this year.  I am going anyway.   It happens.  You can either sit and focus on all the bad stuff or you can decide that you are gonna enjoy yourself.  Life is too short.  The way these ships are designed, you can literally forget you or on the open seas. These ships nowadays are beautiful and yes, there may be 5,000 people on the ship, but you will not feel it.  I say focus on enjoying your family and go on the cruise. 

I 1,000% agree!!!!!

People shouldn't let their fears and bad experiences dictate what another person should do!

I am not fond of rollar coasters, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell others that they shouldn't ride them either.

Respected Contributor

They'd have to pay me to cruise.......and it would have to be a lot!!  Not afraid of water, but it just seems boring.  I'd rather get to where I'm going and have my fun there instead of wasting time going from one place to another.....