Honored Contributor

As I type this there is a bald eagle sitting on the roof of my lanai staring down at the lake. We often see them flying but this is as close as I have ever been to one. He is only about 10ft away. Just sitting there. I hope he doesn't rip the screen with those talons!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wow -eagle sighting

[ Edited ]

ooooo you are soooo lucky

.I am a birder here  in nothern NJ  and I have only seen them flying high in the sky and only rarely.

There are very few of them  here and they are  majesticly  Beautiful.

Had to come back and add,I saw many of  them in Alaska  ........lol

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

ooooo you are soooo lucky

.I am a birder here  in nothern NJ  and I have only seen them flying high in the sky and only rarely.

There are very few of them  here and they are  majesticly  Beautiful.

Had to come back and add,I saw many of  them in Alaska  ........lol

We just had a week of rose breasted grosbeaks, gold finches, indigo buntings and hummers, but by far my very favorite shocking sighting this spring was a Pileated woodpecker. LOVE💕!

Honored Contributor

@151949  WOW - this is really exciting!!!  How magnificent they are too.

A few years ago we had 2 blue herons land first on our 2nd story back porch, hung around for a little while.  This porch is right outside the back spare bedroom & (my) bathroom.  I looked out the window of the bdrm and there he was!!!!  Holy cow, larger than life! 

Shortly thereafter, a 2nd one landed on the roof of our garage.  I'd say the pair were just a little lost, missed one of the rivers not that far west of where we live. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949: Wow- how awesome! They are huge!

@violann: I have a male Pileated woodpecker that has been living in the wooded area in my backyard in NJ for several years. Gorgeous! Had never seen one before living in my present home.

Honored Contributor

We have a blue heron that wanders around our plan all the time and if you aren't careful he will go in the house when you open the door. People are always chasing him away. Apparently he desires to try living indoors.

Honored Contributor

Whew, he did take off without ripping the screen. While it was magnificient to see him I did not want a few thousand dollar screen replacement bill for the privledge.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - That, by far, is my favorite bird - they just take my breadth away! We have seen quite a few here in SC. One was sitting in the tree outside our sunroom. We also have a nesting pair in the State Park near our house - so exciting!

Valued Contributor

How fortunate you are! I've never been lucky enough to see one except for in a picture! So cool!

Super Contributor

Majestic creatures! Very lucky to see one up close.