Frequent Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I totally agree that the tip jar has gotten out of hand. Three weeks ago,at my son's rather fancy wedding we noticed a tip jar at the open bar. 

When my son & DIL booked the event they specifically said that they will tip generously after the event & didn't want a tip jar anywhere in sight.They had it removed.

Your son had a wedding during Covid?!?

Honored Contributor

I tip if I want to. I do not tip anyone who does work at our house. I believe the contract includes the tip. I do tip anyone who delivers furniture. I would NOT tip at a pharmacy. I do tip for carry out and curbside pickup, usually adding it to the amount when I pay over the phone. One of the independent supermarkets we use adds $5 to the order for curbside pickup. Our favorite one has a jar in between the two pickup lanes. We will tip $5.

Many times someone will say he/she is not allowed to accept tips. 

Honored Contributor

I tip for furniture delivery people and other services.  I tip as soon as they walk in the door.  I've never had a bad delivery experience  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I guess tip jars don't bother me.  I get out a lot less, like many of us during Covid-19 pandemic. 

When I have, I have been overwhelmed by now hard people are working, trying to stay safe, adhereing to Covid safety practices.

Every place I have been, every single place, the workers have been so incredibly nice and helpful.

I feel like tipping everyone out there "just doing their jobs"

and keeping businesses moving along and evolving to deal with

this.

Honored Contributor
If they were collecting for a charity, it would be clearly labeled. I have seen those at pharmacy counters in the past, but a jar for tips should not be on a pharmacy counter. I pay so much for meds each month, they get enough of my money.
Trusted Contributor

I ignore ALL tip jars. Problem solved.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I totally agree that the tip jar has gotten out of hand. Three weeks ago,at my son's rather fancy wedding we noticed a tip jar at the open bar. 

When my son & DIL booked the event they specifically said that they will tip generously after the event & didn't want a tip jar anywhere in sight.They had it removed.

Your son had a wedding during Covid?!?

@bunnygirlbrem   Yes!! I live in New York.The Governor allows weddings with up to 50 guests with social distancing.

Honored Contributor
A tip jar at a dr’s office can’t be too far away. I wonder about tip jars...who gets the $$ in them? Do they empty it and split it among the others who work there, or does one person keep all of it? I am sure they have a system in place, but am curious. I know a charity here had put up collection jars all over stores in our area, and the money was stolen on a daily basis. Sad.
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I've never seen a tip jar at a pharmacy.  That doesn't seem like an appropriate place for a tip jar. 

Anyway, people get all up in arms about tipping.  It's completely voluntary.  

I wonder if this wasn't a  tip jar, but it was a charity collection jar?

I'd like someone to ""follow the money"" --------- doubt it goes to charities or the people who deserve it. Definitely NOT in a pharmacy.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago, whenever I went into Walmart - there was a Jar asking for money for a charity. Sooooo annoying - especially when the checkout person asked if u want to leave a tip. I told her that I know a very rich family where she could get lots of money - their name is Walton.