Honored Contributor

Three Teams, One City, One Year

I was going to post this in the sports category, however it's more than just sports (bear with me). This was a documentary on SNY about 1969 when the Jets, Mets, and Knicks won championships in the same year, which will probably never happen again. It got me thinking how eventful 1969 was. Some things I knew, others I didn't.

1.Woodstock

2.Neil Armstrong walks on the moon

3.Manson Murders

4.Stonewall Rebellion

5.Judy Garland dies

6. Beatles last public performance on the roof of Apple Records

7. Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones dies

8.Chappaquiddick

9.Rocky Marciano dies

10. John Lennon gives back his MBE

11.Tiny Tim marries Miss Vicky on The Tonight Show

12.Tragic concert of The Rolling Stones involving The Hell's Angels where 4 people died

Respected Contributor

Re: Three Teams, One City, One Year

Thank you for the interesting post. When you look back we sure have lived a lifetime of so much. I will be 70 in November but so many events that have passed just don't seem like that long ago. God bless this wonderful nation!

Honored Contributor

Re: Three Teams, One City, One Year

[ Edited ]

Not about 1969...or sports (but will give a shoutout to those poor long suffering Knicks and Jets fans)....but just some 4th of July trivia...

Flag: United States on Apple iOS 12.2

The Fourth of July was not declared a federal holiday until 1938.

Around 150 million hot dogs are consumed on Fourth of July (wonder if this statistic includes the hot dogs consumed during the annual Nathan's Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest?)

Back in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed, 2.5 million new people lived in the U.S. Now more than 311 million people live in the U.S.

Three United States presidents died on the Fourth of July: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe.

July 4th is also celebrated in the Philippines, because in 1946, the country was recognized as an independent nation.

In one year, $600 million is spent on fireworks alone in the U.S.

In 1781, the great state of Massachusetts became the first one to declare Independence Day a holiday.

Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Display is the largest in the United States.

More than 14,000 firework displays are put on across the country on Fourth of July!

Bristol, Rhode Island is home to the world's oldest Independence Day celebration. It dates back to 1785!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”