Esteemed Contributor

At what length do you stop (or never start) reading discussions here?

[ Edited ]

Personally after a discussion reaches 10 pages long it seems to have either gotten off topic or become a private conversation between a handful of people.  I do not want to go through hundreds of posts to get caught up or feel like intruding on these discussions.  I will just pass over them, how about you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: At what length do you stop (or never start) reading discussions here?

I stop long before 10 pages.  When it gets to the point where people are having side conversations that have nothing to do with the original post, when they start sniping at each other,  when the clip and post 15 previous posts before they say anything original, when the original post has devolved into mish mash....I'm long gone.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as the conversation remains interesting,and mostly on topic I will keep reading. If arguments start I am out.  If tons of quoting starts I am out.

Respected Contributor

I'm with pqfan: too much space taken up with lengthy quotes usually makes me leave.

I also dislike when large photos are shown over and over.

Respected Contributor

I don't come here to fight. So I like all opinions because I know their is always and a lot of smarter people then I am. So some threads have changed my opinions. I think I come hear to learn and just chitchat.

I now leave a thread when it turns or gets too long.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't let the length of a thread impact whether I'll start reading or continue reading.  

If the topic is of interest, I'll open the thread and read it regardless of how many posts there have been.  And I stick with a thread as long as I find it interesting.  I've enjoyed some very long threads.

If it devolves into a personal conversation between two people, then I'm out.  (Just another reason I think there should be the option for private messaging here.)

Honored Contributor

I can stick with a post topic as long as it continure to interest me.  However, whether it's a new post or a response, if it's a really long "dissertation", I just gloss over those.

Honored Contributor

Depends on the topic and how interested I am in it.

Respected Contributor

I usually check out when two posters are going back and forth with small talk or inside jokes, or if I see multiple quoting of quotes.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

When someone gets quotearrhea I'm out.

It drives me crazy to see a photo reposted multiple times within 1 response.