Frequent Contributor

Re: Those of you who have gotten both your Moderna shots, question?...

I got the moderna, first one, a slightly sore arm and nothing else except for fatigue for a couple days.  Second one nothing the first day, then covid arm set in, sore arm (more so than the first one, but I've had worse from the flu shot) I got the rash and it swelled up and was sore and warm to touch, couldn't lay on that side for a couple days, started to subside and feel a little better day by day (total probably lasted 4-5 days)  then the itch started, boy did it itch, not constantly, but it would just start itching like crazy. 

All in all, not too bad. No other major effects, never had to take any pain reliever.

DH had the moderna also and had nothing both times, not even a sore arm.

My 92 year old mom had the moderna and also nothing, not even a sore arm, though she did have a really bad headache for 2 days about 1 week after the second one, we're not sure if it was related or not, but it's curious that it came and went suddenly. She took tylenol.

My daughter-in-law had moderna and had a sore arm after the first one and after the second one, she had all the symptoms, she was down and out for a couple days, then felt fine. 

DD and son-in-law had the johnson and johnson, he had no effects at all, and she had really bad headache, nausea, aches, chills, then felt better by day 3, and was fatigued for the rest of the week.

DS just had the first one of phizer, so far nothing to report.

Other son-in-law had the first phizer a couple weeks ago and has a sore arm and swollen lymph node,  he said he tends to get that with the flu shot too.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband, son and I are scheduled to get our first Moderna shot next week.  I am so relieved that we finally got appointments. Hubby and I are 62 and my son is 30 (he works in a group that is eligible the same time as we are).

I normally have no reactions to vaccines except for a sore arm.  My husband and son have never had a vaccine since they've been adults.  I'm curious to see if we have different reactions.  I have read that younger people are more likely to have reactions so I'm curious to see if my son has a more intense reaction than me and hubby.

Even though I've been working from home the last year and hardly go anywhere, I am so thankful that we will get vaccinated soon.  My husband and son are exposed to people every day and I will be so happy when they've had their second dose.  It's interesting to read how people have many different reactions.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   I've read this also.  As long as it is mild symptoms and seems to last no longer than a few days, I think most feel grateful to have had the vaccination.

@Gorgf wrote:

I happened to have my annual physical  the day after my second Moderna and the clinic said in general more side effects with Moderna than Pfizer. Arm was tender like a flu shot but I felt like I was getting the flu also. Body ache, tired and chills. Just felt blah. Took Tylenol a couple of days. Thankful to have received both and finished so just  a minor discomfort.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb 

Me - Moderna

1st shot - sore arm, slight chills, low grade fever, headache, fine the next day

2nd shot - Nothing at all.

DH - Moderna 

1st shot nothing

2nd shot nothing.

Father 94 - Pfizer

1st shot nothing

2nd shot Nothing

So grateful to have gotten it, even MORE grateful my family has had it!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I received my first dose of Moderna this morning. Besides a sore arm and swelling in that arm, I am not having any other side effects, and hope that this continues.  

I do have a question for those who have mentioned itching in the arm, with the second injection, what did you use to deal with the itchiness or did you just deal with it? 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I got my second Moderna shot two weeks ago yesterday.  Had no reaction at all except after a week I got a big goose egg on my arm.  It wasn't ever sore at all but it itched like crazy for 4-5 days.   It's all gone now.  My sister had the same reaction. 

So did my husband, after his first Pfizer shot.

Respected Contributor

@amyb 

I had no side effects from either of my Moderna shots aside from mild soreness and feeling a little tired for a couple of days. My son had a very sore arm the day of his first Pfizer shot and very fatigued the next day. His second shot made his arm hurt for several days but no other side effects. As far as I know, most of my friends and family had Moderna shots and no serious pain or ill effects. Those who had Pfizer seemed to have more aches and pains and sickness.

Respected Contributor

I had both Pfizer shots. The first shot, I just got a sore arm. The second shot was totally different. My arm was very sore & swelled. I was in bed most of the time for 3 days because I was so lightheaded. After that I was fatiqued for a few days.

Trusted Contributor

Me: first shot only sore arm, second shot sore arm,chills, low grade fever that lasted 2 days

Husband: first shot only sore arm, second shot sore arm and fatigue

We were 68 when we got the shots. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had both Moderna shots and I was "sick" after each dose.

The first shot gave me the worst sore arm that I had ever had.  I wasn't able to lift it for almost three days (and I'm not exaggerating).  I also had very bad chills the first night and was very tired the next day.

After the second shot, I had virtually no arm pain (which was a surprise!), but I did have a fever of 101 and was extremely achy the next day. I had a headache wrapped around my entire head and was sore from my head down to my ankles.  It lasted about a day and half and then it was like nothing happened.