Honored Contributor

Re: This Makes Me Mad And Sad

@Nancy Drew wrote:

No one owes anyone a spot in a Sorority. Their club, their rules. Plenty of women don’t get in. Victoria Secret notified me I won’t be walking in this years show. They didn’t tell me why. I ‘m guessing I am too old, too short and my face looks like a Pug.

Call your attorney!

Honored Contributor

I am sure many girls who do not have Downs syndrome are excluded.  They can only take a limited amount of girls.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am sure many girls who do not have Downs syndrome are excluded.  They can only take a limited amount of girls.

@DiAnne  Yep, that’s the excuse or reason they use to turn you down. Then after some research, in the 60’s when I was in school, I found this southern sorority had NEVER admitted a Jewish girl. Exclusivity? BS. I call it prejudice. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@DiAnne  Yep, that’s the excuse or reason they use to turn you down. Then after some research, in the 60’s when I was in school, I found this southern sorority had NEVER admitted a Jewish girl. Exclusivity? BS. I call it prejudice. 

Some how that does not suprise me.  

Honored Contributor

People join organizations to socialize with people who have common interests, common values, and sometimes of common decent like Italian, German etc clubs. Should they be faulted for excluding those who aren't of Italian or German decent; should a club made up entirely of Christians be faulted for excluding Jews or Muslims? I don't think so. It's gotten nonsense when Boy Scouts feel compelled to include girls and men's clubs forced to accept women. I wouldn't want men in my women's club.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I really have no use for the 'Greek life' on college campuses. 

Of course there are good people and they do some good things (charity mostly), but over all, I think we need to move beyond what usually happens with sororities and fraternities. 

I knew when I went to college I wanted no part of any of it. My niece and nephew were both heavily involved and it was terrible the amount of hazing that still exists, and I honestly don't know how more kids aren't killed by the things I was told went on and happened with them. 

I'm sorry the girl who pledged even feels like she wants to be part of that life. She has so much more to give, and much more deserving groups and people who would love to have her a part of their organization. Hopefully she will find them.

@Mominohio...

Well said!!  My thoughts excactly!!  

My son was also heavily involved in a Fraternity in College. Although the one he joined was considered to be a 'CHARTIBLE' Group, there was a great deal of abusive behavior and hazing going on. Several times I became so upset and engraged I had considered reporting it to the local police department. However, I didn't follow through when I LEARNED the authorities were fully aware of what was going on and simply  'TURNED THIER FACES" ..

The year after my son graduated from College, there was an accident in which a student was badly injured during a hazing and almost killed. It was only after that incident that College authorities took the matter seriously and clamped down on the actitvities in the 'GREEK GROUPS'.

Esteemed Contributor

No one in our entire family ever had any interest in joining "Greek life."  DIfferent generations, but a concept that we are not happy with.  The college experience should be an opportunity to expand your social horizons by meeting and befriending all groups of people.  For many, the first time they might have been exposed to people very unlike themselves.  What a missed opportunity.  To me, at least, Greeks reflect another bygone era.

Respected Contributor

Reading this thread reminded me of something that happened 10 years ago.  Our local university sent a challenged student to my employer for experience.  Quickly it became apparent this placement wasn’t going to work as she couldn’t perform the job expected of her. Her supervisor had to inform her of this and remove her from the training program.

At the time I thought the university had done her a huge disservice as she’d been in that program for 3 years, preparing for a career into which she’d never be admitted.  I wondered how she’d passed all the prerequisite courses? Had her parents paid for her years of college truly thinking their daughter would be able to get her degree in this field? Did she understand why she’d been removed?

It seemed to me that she’d been treated unfairly and had been mislead. Jmho

Esteemed Contributor

We had a Jewish girl in my sorority, but there are also all Jewish sororities and frats. Since the membership ceremony is based entirely on Christian symbols and beliefs, at least in my sorority,  I always found it curious that a Jewish person would want to go through a Christian type ceremony. However, I explained earlier how sororities came about in the first place: to keep birds of a feather together.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

People join organizations to socialize with people who have common interests, common values, and sometimes of common decent like Italian, German etc clubs. Should they be faulted for excluding those who aren't of Italian or German decent; should a club made up entirely of Christians be faulted for excluding Jews or Muslims? I don't think so. It's gotten nonsense when Boy Scouts feel compelled to include girls and men's clubs forced to accept women. I wouldn't want men in my women's club.

@occasionalrain  What you’re describing is a completely separate scenario. Sororities do not only accept white, Anglo Saxon Protestants. They’d like it that way, but that would be too obvious. Just like country clubs in my area, either Jewish people are not accepted after applying or they have a quota...in 2018? If clubs are on campuses & not advertised as The German Club, etc., yes, all denominations, countries of origin should be accepted and included. Diversity not exclusion begins at home. Shame on these sororities for limiting certain groups. The OP has every right to be angry, it’s discrimination on any level.