Honored Contributor

Re: This Makes Me Mad And Sad

@occasionalrain wrote:

We are all free to choose those with whom we wish to socialize and shouldn't be faulted or labeled if we prefer some and not others. 

College is meant to benefit one's future career. Membership in fraternities/sororities provides a network and often gives preference when applying for a job.

Well I fault and label anyone who makes such decisions based on skin color, gender, orientation, disability, religion and more a bigot. I make such decisions in my life based on the kind of person someone is. I prefer good and kind and honest people.

So it somehow will hinder a future career to belong to a sorority or fraternity that accepts minorities and mentally challenged people? That's a frightening concept.

College is also meant to teach you how to function in a world in which everyone isn't exactly like you. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I'm the OP and tonight I saw a story on the news with David Muir that was 180 degrees from this story that made me think there are good people. There is this young man who is a freshman at Brophy College Prepatory and is a running back on his football team. What sets him apart from most other players is, he is blind. He ran for two touchdowns, the other team had no idea he was blind. His teammates help him get around at school, and run drills with him. His blindness doesn't hold him back, it's not an issue for his teammates, he is accepted as he is. What a feel good story.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

We are all free to choose those with whom we wish to socialize and shouldn't be faulted or labeled if we prefer some and not others. 

College is meant to benefit one's future career. Membership in fraternities/sororities provides a network and often gives preference when applying for a job.

Well I fault and label anyone who makes such decisions based on skin color, gender, orientation, disability, religion and more a bigot. I make such decisions in my life based on the kind of person someone is. I prefer good and kind and honest people.

So it somehow will hinder a future career to belong to a sorority or fraternity that accepts minorities and mentally challenged people? That's a frightening concept.

College is also meant to teach you how to function in a world in which everyone isn't exactly like you. 

Are you not making those same judgements and decisions about members of the sororities simply based on the fact that they belong to a sorority.  You simply have no idea why this young woman was not extended a bid to join, yet are labeling the sorority as being descrimitory.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Wrong to expect special treatment. Contacting the school is beyond inappropriate. 

It's better not to be invited than to accept a mercy invite and realize you were not wanted.

I don't know if it's wrong to contact the school. This is a form of discrimination, it shouldn't be allowed. They should get to know her before making judgments of her.

What about everyone else who wants to join and is turned down?  Should they be open on a first come first served basis?  I never had a desire to join a sorority and don't know a lot about them but I thought they were primarily social clubs.  Should we force people to socialize with everyone in the name of fairness?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy I was talking about the post that I quoted. Not what the sorority did or didn't do.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy I was talking about the post that I quoted. Not what the sorority did or didn't do.

Stand by my statement, yet I would like to hear your take on a number of sororities and fraternities that are only open to those of a particular race.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Reading this thread reminded me of something that happened 10 years ago.  Our local university sent a challenged student to my employer for experience.  Quickly it became apparent this placement wasn’t going to work as she couldn’t perform the job expected of her. Her supervisor had to inform her of this and remove her from the training program.

At the time I thought the university had done her a huge disservice as she’d been in that program for 3 years, preparing for a career into which she’d never be admitted.  I wondered how she’d passed all the prerequisite courses? Had her parents paid for her years of college truly thinking their daughter would be able to get her degree in this field? Did she understand why she’d been removed?

It seemed to me that she’d been treated unfairly and had been mislead. Jmho

@Kalli  No. Everyone should be a fair shot to succeed. If she wasn’t right for the job, so be it, but her resume should and was accepted to gain experience. You said “quickly it became apparent”....Was she given as much time as other new employees to learn the job expections or the decision made early on based on some bias?

@Shanus The successful ones come in ready to hit the ground running. I don’t feel comfortable giving details of what this particular person struggled with but it was very basic.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind