Esteemed Contributor

Do any of you ladies use the term Harvest? As in "I'm going to start putting out some Harvest decorations." Or do you say Fall? Or Autumn? Or Thanksgiving? Or what? Just curious because I'd never heard anyone use that term until Valerie. Maybe it's quite common to use Harvest in some parts of the country, just not in my neck of the woods.

Super Contributor

I say fall. 

Honored Contributor

I use the term "harvest" when it comes to decorating for the Fall.  I use it interchangeably with Fall and Autumn because they mean the same thing.   I'm a bit flabbergasted, unless there's a language issue here.  Traditionally, crops were "harvested" in the Fall so fall was and still is referred to as the Harvest season.  I use Fall or Harvest because I don't do a Halloween thing.    My Fall/autimn/harvest decor is pumpkins and gourds and fall leaves and oranges and golds and yellows.  It goes up in September and lasts through Thanksgiving, which is an Fall holiday.  

Super Contributor

I say Fall....but I have said Harvest when describing something e.g.  a pumpkin arrangement or scarecrows with haybales . So I guess its a Harvest theme but I have Fall decor ? Sorry girls --- my coffee should be kicking in by now !!!  lol

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I use the term "harvest" when it comes to decorating for the Fall.  I use it interchangeably with Fall and Autumn because they mean the same thing.   I'm a bit flabbergasted, unless there's a language issue here.  Traditionally, crops were "harvested" in the Fall so fall was and still is referred to as the Harvest season.  I use Fall or Harvest because I don't do a Halloween thing.    My Fall/autimn/harvest decor is pumpkins and gourds and fall leaves and oranges and golds and yellows.  It goes up in September and lasts through Thanksgiving, which is an Fall holiday.  

You're flabbergasted because I've never heard of the word Harvest being used in relation to home decor?  I'm not a mensa member but of course I know about harvesting in relation to crops. Just not that word in relation to decorating for it.

Honored Contributor

I think everyone knows what harvest means.  Valerie positions her Fall decor a little higher than all the rest when she refers to it as "harvest decor." 

Trusted Contributor

I'm not a a farmer so I say fall but then I don't decorate for the seasons either

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

You're flabbergasted because I've never heard of the word Harvest being used in relation to home decor?  I'm not a mensa member but of course I know about harvesting in relation to crops. Just not that word in relation to decorating for it.

I meant in terms of decorating because Harvest is used in sales and magazines and catalogs everywhere and always has been.   In the same way that we see Yuletide when we are discussing the Christmas season.  

Honored Contributor

When a person speaks , as long as you understand what they are trying to communicate, what does it matter what word they use? 

Honored Contributor

Re: The term HARVEST

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

I'm not a a farmer so I say fall but then I don't decorate for the seasons either

My dad farmed and grew a thousand acres of soy beans that were "harvested" in the fall, but we never said "harvest."  It was referred to as simply "combining beans" and that was that!  Never heard the word "harvest."  In the spring, we "cut wheat." 

Interesting topic!  I do know some in northwest Oklahoma where they grow a lot of wheat (too dry for soy beans) and have to have way more land because the wheat is not as thick, where teams of people with combines come through following the ripening wheat, and they talk about "harvest" but we lived in another part of Oklahoma and we owned our own combine so it was just cutting wheat.

The cutter bar under the big rolling header cuts the wheat off and then it is scooped up into the machine by the header and stalks and grains are separated, chaff comes out the back and is cup up by a rotating cutter and the wheat is stored in the big bin on the combine and comes out the pipe on the side when it unloads into a truck.  Sometime the truck drives by the combine as it is cutting.

With soy beans, it isn't "cutting them" because they are cut but also the main action is the stalks are dry so they crumble and break and are swept up by the rolling header into the machine and stalks and beans are then separated as is the wheat.  Combines are not cheap to buy I might add!  Farming in an expensive hobby (a joke sometimes ruefully said by a lot of farmers who depend on weather and God for a living).

TMI?  Probably!  Anyway you can look online and see a combine working probably.  I always loved that!  Fun to watch all the action!