Respected Contributor

I use both the term harvest and fall to describe my autumnal (there's another word for you!) decorating.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When a person speaks , as long as you understand what they are trying to communicate, what does it matter what word they use? 

Is it a crime for me to be curious about whether or not a term being used is a regional thing being that in all my years, of which I've lived many, she's the only one I ever heard use it in relation to decorating. Geez Louise!

Honored Contributor

When I hear the word harvest then images of things gathered from a field come to my mind. Some of these things people use to decorate their homes during the fall season. For example pumpkins, dried leaves and grasses.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I hear the word harvest then images of things gathered from a field come to my mind. Some of these things people use to decorate their homes during the fall season. For example pumpkins, dried leaves and grasses.

And the first thing I think of when decorating for fall is pots of chrysanthemums on my front steps. Yellows, golds, & purples.

Respected Contributor

I only hear that term from farmer friends.  This includes pearl farmers.

Honored Contributor

There's a good restaurant near me called "Harvest Seasonal Grill" that we go to often....but no I don't use the term for decorating.

Esteemed Contributor

"Harvest" is the name of a set of Temp-tations dinnerware I own.  Soon, I will be putting out my harvest dishes!  They have acorns and falling leaves on them; the palette is brown, orange, yellow, and green.

They are not to be confused with the "Fallfetti" dishes I'm using now.  Same color palette, different pattern.🍁🐿

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I don't haul out any "decorations" until Halloween.

I'd go nuts if I had to have bins of fall stuff too.

The only time I have heard "harvest decorations" is when Valerie says it.

The only time I use the word is when I go and "harvest" the few  piddly veggies I have in  my garden.

@Sooner, I was fascinated by your story. Thank you!

Honored Contributor
We use the term fall to refer to the cooler weather. Harvest time and Autumn come with fall. Whatever term you use...it's my favorite time of year.
Honored Contributor

Fall is the term I use.

Harvest, to me, is when the farm begins to wind up and pull in the crops and harvest (verb) the food, hay, etc that they've worked on all season. The harvest is the big deal and nothing but hard labor. Many school districts shut down as the many help their families not only on their own land but earn money as extra hands on other farms.It isn't a decorating term in any way. That said, I understand that many think of Fall and Autumn when they hear the word harvest so, there it is.

Farming were and are the occupations of my Daddy growing up and those in his family.