Honored Contributor

@hennypenny  There are lots of fun videos on YouTube showing harvesting.  Just google John Deere (because ALL of our equipment was green!) harvesting beans or soybeans and they pop up.  You get some sense of what it's like and can see the beans going out of the hopper in some and the chaff being spit out the back.  It's all part of what it takes to get those products to market. 

My dad would sometimes see birds in the fields and know they had a nest on the ground, so he'd raise the header and leave the nest intact then lower it again.  You could be driving by and notice these skips in his fields and laugh because he'd seen a bird nest!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner.  Its not TMI; it's very interesting.  I had no idea how those things work.  Thanks for the explanation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i use the terms autumn, fall, and harvest......depends on what i am talking about and how i am feeling that day. lol

i really prefer to use the term autumn when referring to the third season of the year.

we have a restaurant at the delmarva beaches called OUR HARVEST. it pretty much refers to locally sourced foods that are used in their menu choices.  very fresh items that look good and taste good.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We farm/ranch here in the Blue Ridge mts of VA. As @Sooner and others stated: harvest time is work! After all the crops are spent, there is often still the preservation and next year’s seeds to process/store. Definitely a VERB in my mind.

We enjoy Harvest Festivals and other gatherings even prior to the big one, Thanksgiving. Some of the work is still shared in our community, like canning to help stock church food pantries for the needy, etc. The bounty of the harvest to be shared. 

Still, though I may incorporate some harvested/dried items in my decorating, I have always referred to my home and outdoor decor as “Autumn” or “Fall.” I will add a few touches of Halloween, and then Thanksgiving through the Fall season until Winter/Christmas. 

I love all seasonal decor! 🎃 But I wouldn’t call my Spring decorations “Planting” or “Sowing” so I can see how exchanging Autumn for Harvest may seem a bit odd. Would be appropriate to use the latter when decorating for an actual Harvest Party or Festival. 

Sales vendors are always trying to evolve and elevate their lines through terminology. Doesn’t always appeal as well as they hope. 

Honored Contributor

another way to look at it.......

we use the words spring time.

we use the words winter time.

we use the words summer time.

we use the words harvest time.

we DONT use the words fall time or autumn time. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I say Fall !!!!

Honored Contributor

I use 'harvest', fall and autumn, all three. I've come to like use of the term 'harvest season'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I say fall or autumn.

i do say harvest if i see any farms are harvesting crops now too.

Valued Contributor

I appreciated all three, Fall, Autumn and Harvest.  I also use Halloween season,

because traditionally, Halloween or Samhain as the ancient Celts called it, celebrates the last harvest of the season as well as celebrating the end of the life cycle before rebirth.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Respected Contributor
I don't refer to my decorations as harvest, I call them fall decorations if it's after Halloween. Harvest to me means crops and bounties, and an alternative word that schools and churches use in place of Halloween for their celebrations.