Esteemed Contributor

Re: The nerve of some people

Maybe next time the friends who briefly leave their chairs will collapse them before they go, making them less visible to potential squatters. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda  That's a good idea, to collapse the chairs.  PITA but might be worth it.  No guaranttes in this current lack of good manners.

Honored Contributor

Two weeks ago I was in Provincetown to attend their annual parade. My friends and I took along our chairs and as hundreds of others had done, set them up before going to lunch. All along the parade route sat unattended chairs that no one bothered and their owners returned to without any problems. 

Too bad that the same courtesy wasn't given to the O P's good friends.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarplePerhaps different venues draw different people of different attitudes.  People should feel confident to some degree that what they own isn't up for someone else to use.  Your example is heart-warming -- there really are nice people that show up in large numbers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My friends weren't actually at the venue per say. It was a street event with booths set up at various places. There was no where to sit where the actual booth was so they went across the street and were sitting in the street (blocked off) by the opposite sidewalk(there is a sort of indent made in the sidewalk so a couple cars can park there) so there was no reason for those rude , stupid people to assume the chairs went with the event. Beside that Marie told them those were  personal property. Certainly you can understand why  65 year old women would not want to get in an arguement with 3 much younger men, & since there were police wandering around they chose to just go get one, which resolved the situation immed. 

@151949  Again a lot of people have put in opinions and the facts get changed late.  It makes a difference when you add the locations and that it was 3 much younger men.  Why not put all the information in the OP?????

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Phantom41 wrote:

I think I’m glad I don’t live in this area!  Seems to be a hotbed of activity.

@Phantom41,

There are rude people everywhere and they feel entitled and think they can do whatever they want with no consequences. That is why they act that way IMO. It has nothing to do with location. Respect is a thing of the past..unfortunately. I hope this changes soon.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My friends weren't actually at the venue per say. It was a street event with booths set up at various places. There was no where to sit where the actual booth was so they went across the street and were sitting in the street (blocked off) by the opposite sidewalk(there is a sort of indent made in the sidewalk so a couple cars can park there) so there was no reason for those rude , stupid people to assume the chairs went with the event. Beside that Marie told them those were  personal property. Certainly you can understand why  65 year old women would not want to get in an arguement with 3 much younger men, & since there were police wandering around they chose to just go get one, which resolved the situation immed. 

@151949  Again a lot of people have put in opinions and the facts get changed late.  It makes a difference when you add the locations and that it was 3 much younger men.  Why not put all the information in the OP?????

NO FACTS WERE CHANGED - just added to clarify what others had written.

Once again - any nit picking thing to try to start a fight. GEEZ.

Honored Contributor

So they must not have thought the chairs belonged to the venue since they weren’t even there? That’s the problem with recounting something secondhand.  Information gets left out intentionally or not to elicit the effect you’re after.  

Respected Contributor

@missy1

Unfortunately, common sense is not very common!  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

A lesson learned from the OP's story,  if you take your own seats, cushions, blankets to a public event put your names on them in large letters.  Sadly, that might not even help!