Honored Contributor

Some girlfriends who live in Pa just called me & they were telling me about a wine tasting event they had all gone to. We have attended this event in the past and we've commented that it has been going downhill. Last year there were no places to sit and we ended up leaving very early because we got so tired from having to stand, plus you have to walk a lot and it's all up & down steep hills. Anyway, this year they decided to solve the seat problem by each of them taking one of those folding fabric outdoor seats , they could carry it around with them, and set up when they needed to sit. At one venue they were sitting (4 of them) and decided to get up and get some more wine, but one of the girls said she would stay & watch the chairs, because otherwise someone may take them. So no sooner had they gotten up and some people come and sit in the chairs. Marie, who was watching the chairs nicely tells them these are private property and they can't sit there and they tell her if you get up & leave your seat it is available for anyone - and everyone knows that. So she says OK , you can rest til my friends come back, but then you have to give them back. Long story short - my friends ended up having to get a cop to get these people out of their chairs. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The nerve of some people

Geezz, how rude.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Common sense would tell (most people) those chairs are not the venues. Were they tourists?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow that's crazy!  I think it was a smart idea for your friends to bring the folding chairs but hard to understand why stranger thought they were entitled to sit on them.

It's like going to the beach...would you just sit on a stranger's chair when they go into the water?  Makes no sense.....but the one watching the chairs was gracious to let them sit for a few minutes.

ETA:  I'm just wondering why they thought they were entitled to sit and a cop had to be called to remove them?  The must not have believed the women when they said that they owned the chairs!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

What a story. You are right, the nerve of some people.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Common sense would tell (most people) those chairs are not the venues. Were they tourists?

@missy1  I was wondering the samething.

Respected Contributor

I’m a baseball mom. Our lawn chairs are almost sacred.
Honored Contributor

I read posts like this and I am befuddled.  I'm lucky that I never experience the type of rudeness and nastiness that seems to happen in other parts of the country.  Perhaps your friend have said  "we brought these seats from home, we own them" and the rude people would have understood.  They probably thought the seats belonged to the venue.  

Respected Contributor

I think they were probably drunk (being a wine tasting and all). Not an excuse for their rudeness, but rather explains it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had this happen to me at the Post Office one time. I needed to pack an order but needed a price to ship the item before I could seal and tape the box. I brought my packing tape roll from home. I was in the process of closing the box and put the dispenser on the counter and sure enough, someone comes along and picks it up to use it. I explained it was my personal dispenser from home, not one the PO left out for customer use. Believe it or not, they still asked if they use it to seal a box. Yup, got nerve don't they.