Honored Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

@Shorty2U wrote:

I agree, theres nothing like the beach! I lived over half of my life of Summers at the Jersey shore areas (Brigantine and Wildwood). Havent been there in 19 years! (SInce all my back issues).

My daughter tells me that Wildwood NJ has turned into a dump. They went over night the other year. I have their site on my facebook (and they post videos, it doesnt look like a dump to me). Can anyone tell me if you have been to Wildwood lately?

My daughter and her family (and also my son) go to Ocean City Maryland every year. Ive been to OC a few times (long ago) but I always preferred Jersey.

@Some of the best memories of my life (with my family) were made @ the Jersey shore!

@Shorty2U

I haven't been down there but, according to my daughter, Wildwood is turning around.  Yes, it was getting grungy down there for some decades, but they are now cleaning up and rebuilding.  Wildwood was never "my place," although a little further down is lovely Cape May. 

New Jersey is unique in that it's the only state whose entire eastern border is the ocean, north to south.  Although it's a small state, that's a lot of beach!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Sounds like you had a really nice day! 

We were in Ocean City, NJ on Saturday and it was cloudy, nice and breezy---perfect for 'walking the boards'.

We just bought there last summer.  My grandparents (and great grandparents) lived there year round.

We live along the Carolina coast in the cooler months.  My parents stay at our house during the summer. 

We don't 'snowbird' as we do head back home a lot during the summer/fall months.  (My husband is semi-retired.)

We've owned (rentals) in Dewey and Lewes Beach, but sold those and now have a place in Rehoboth which we rent out seasonally.

Rehoboth reminds me of Jersey the most.  (We can see Cape May lit up at night from our beach.)  We always thought we'd summer in Rehoboth, but now the Jersey shore has stolen our hearts.

The best part is, our Long Island grandchildren are only a little over two hours away now.  Ocean City is a safe, family friendly town.  We LOVE the boardwalk. 

Our house is under major construction right now.  (Had to be 'lifted' for starters.)

We're torn between having grandchildren in the south and grandchildren in the north.  We can't wait till ALL of us can be together on the island--someday soon!

Used to do Wildwood in my late teens.  (Oh those Wildwood days!)  Haven't been there in years, but do have friends in Wildwood Crest that we hope to get to see soon.

I hope you can get back again this summer/fall.  Nothing like the sound of the surf and the breeze--but don't feed the gulls!

@Lucky Charm

There are ways to snack on the beach that the gulls miss.  Always keep your food and drinks in a large lined tote, keep umbrellas up and close together.  They can't see it or smell it that way.

I will go down whenever my girls up here go down.  Now that they have the jeeps, there's no need for me to walk in the sand.  Not all the towns have them, but they should.

I do hope you can get down there with your family!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTreeI was only kidding about the gulls!  I'm hounded by them where ever I go.  I've learned to never leave anything out on the decks, too.  It's like a scene from 'The Birds', if you do. 

We have a white Suburban and a black Suburban.  The white one will be hit with black doo an the black one will be hit with white doo.  There's no winning here.....

I have a question, what is considered 'South Jersey'?

We ate at Penn's Landing in Philly on Sunday and took a ferry over to Camden to see a concert.  At the concert they kept saying they were 'back in Philly'.  We were in Jersey!  I realize how close they are, but they are in different states.  Is Camden considered Philly, too, and is Camden considered South Jersey?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@LilacTreeI was only kidding about the gulls!  I'm hounded by them where ever I go.  I've learned to never leave anything out on the decks, too.  It's like a scene from 'The Birds', if you do. 

We have a white Suburban and a black Suburban.  The white one will be hit with black doo an the black one will be hit with white doo.  There's no winning here.....

I have a question, what is considered 'South Jersey'?

We ate at Penn's Landing in Philly on Sunday and took a ferry over to Camden to see a concert.  At the concert they kept saying they were 'back in Philly'.  We were in Jersey!  I realize how close they are, but they are in different states.  Is Camden considered Philly, too, and is Camden considered South Jersey?

@Lucky Charm

If that concert in Camden was Peter Gabriel and Sting, my girls were there too!!  LOL

Camden is definitely SJ.  I'm not sure but I believe SJ starts just under the "waistline" of the state south of Trenton.  However, we are a Philly suburb, so a lot of things down here are considered "Philly."

As for those pesky gulls, I love watching them soar into the blue skies and dive into the sea, but I don't like their poo either!!

Formerly Ford1224