Honored Contributor

Went down the shore Saturday with my girls and stayed overnight at my daughter's house (who lives on LBI).  We went down to the beach early and stayed practically all day.  It was my first time this year.

They have done a beautiful job replenishing the beach, it's twice as long a walk to the ocean than it used to be.  There are barges on the horizon that continually push the deep ocean sand toward the shoreline.  We saw dolphins.  It was about 85 and sunny most of the day, just a bit breezy, which is how I like it.

They have a service for people like me.  You call them and they meet you in a jeep at the top of the beach and drive you down to where you want to locate.  Wonderful, friendly people.  The area of the beach where we go has no lifeguards, so there was plenty of room to sit anywhere we wanted to sit.  The sand white and clean . . . OMG, I felt like I had just come home!! 

You then call the service when you want to leave and they come and get you.  My daughter and her girls are so lucky they can go out there and look at that magnificent sea whenever they want to.  My daughter goes alone often.  Her girls were born there and take it for granted.  They are working now that it's summer. 

We took some photos and I put them on my FB.  My daughter made cod and salmon and we had roasted potatoes and carrots Saturday night.  (I had leftovers on Sunday and it was still delicious.) 

I could go on and on.  It was the best weekend in a long, long time.  We are such Jersey girls, all we did was laugh and tell jokes.  We're different somehow when we're down there all together, I can't explain it.

Someone had a thread the other day about where you would want to go on vacation.  The only place I would want to go is exactly where I was yesterday!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

@LilacTree wrote:

Someone had a thread the other day about where you would want to go on vacation.  The only place I would want to go is exactly where I was yesterday!!

You put a smile on my face! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! I feel the same way about our Delaware beach. When our children were little and all of their friends were going to exotic places, this is where we would go - we still do, every chance we get! They used to complain about no "going anywhere exciting," but now they look forward to it. With mostly school and college opportunities, both of them have been all over the states and around the world at this point anyway! DH and I spent our honeymoon there, and we try to spend our anniversary there every year. It's such a special place for us! Our children have taken friends down many times. The rule used to be when they turned 13 they could invite one friend. Now that they're college age and older, any friend is welcome, and they are welcome to fix breakfast and lunch, but they're on their own for dinner! So many happy memories - sounds like you have a bunch too! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom

i totally agree with you about the delaware beaches.....and the maryland beaches also. i think i could live there full time when i get a bit older! if i didnt get to go anywhere but there i would be fine!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I love LBI, I used to go to the State Park quite often and you're right the space between the sand and the shoreline is quite massive. 

I live on Cape Cod and in my opinion only the lower cape beaches equal the beaches of New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@beach_mom

I can't imagine the Delaware beach as very different from the Jersey shore, so you know exactly what I mean.  Who knows how long those two lovely islands are going to be there?  That's what I think when I'm fixed upon that lovely sight.  The waves were very calm yesterday, so right beyond the rip tides was a beautiful calm, dark blue "lake."  It was totally mesmerizing.

We watched some gulls fighting over a piece of pizza . . . it was hysterical!  Some people don't like the gulls.  To me they are part of the whole frieze, a beautiful painting in motion. 

And yes, so many memories.  I have old films of my little blonde beach babies . . . four of them running around the surf in their identical bathing suits, my ex and I standing right there.  My youngest is turning 50 this November.  In those days we could only rent for two weeks.  It's been 20 years that at least one of my daughters has been living there, and for many of those years I had three daughters living there.  Their children went to Island schools.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Regular Contributor

Occasionally we go to Ocean City NJ or Lake Wallenpaupak in the Poconos. I think there's something so peaceful & calming about being near water; hearing the waves or ripple of water does it for me. Ahhhh

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

Okay, I have to ask.   what is LBI ?

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I love LBI, I used to go to the State Park quite often and you're right the space between the sand and the shoreline is quite massive. 

I live on Cape Cod and in my opinion only the lower cape beaches equal the beaches of New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.

@JaneMarple

I've been to Cape Cod and it has its own atmosphere . . . but you are right, the beaches are too rocky, too many hills, just not the same.

Cape May at the bottom of the Jersey shore is beautiful in both ways, quaint little town, bed and breakfast hotels, lovely little boutiques, and a wonderful beach also.  It's a long ride from here though.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

It must be glorious... I see the traffic on the Parkway every weekend and wonder why people would sit in that!  (I'm going north.)  Glad you had such a great weekend Smiley Happy