Respected Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

i have not been to the Jersey Shore.  i've always wanted to see Cape May and my mother lived in Spring Lake in her 20s and  i always wished we could go, bit we never took vacations as kids andwere raised swimming the beaches of Eastern Long Island.  i do wish my sister and i could spend time at the beach with my mother. the last time we did this was a few days just after 9/11. we all live hundreds of miles apart and my mother can't deal with both daughters at one time. always been this way.

Trusted Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

Okay, I have to ask.   what is LBI ?

Long Beach Island.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

Sounds heavenly! 

I'm close to the gulf coast but a beach vacation here is so different than one up north! Give me one up north in the summer! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy wrote:

It must be glorious... I see the traffic on the Parkway every weekend and wonder why people would sit in that!  (I'm going north.)  Glad you had such a great weekend Smiley Happy

@VanSleepy

Ah, it's because once you get there it's such heaven.  The best months are June, September and even into October sometimes.  July and August are more for the tourists and the Islanders dislike those months and can't wait for them to be over.  But, as I said, where my daughter lives is not where most of the tourists rent, so it's very peaceful there even in July and August.  And Long Beach Island deliberately does not have a Boardwalk.  It does have a small park with rides and such, but nothing like the upper island and/or Atlantic City.

LBI is changing though, from a "rental cabins" type place to an "only for the well off" place.  Most of the new homes built after Sandy are huge and not rented out during the summer.  These are folks who can afford to keep these homes closed up all out-season and come down and enjoy three or four months at their shore home.  We see fewer and fewer of the little rental houses every year.  All new homes have to be built on stilts (pilings), and they cost millions. 

This is keeping the traffic minimizing every year.  We live in South Jersey, so we take local highways to the Island.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

@January121 you are living in a slice of heaven!! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Sounds heavenly! 

I'm close to the gulf coast but a beach vacation here is so different than one up north! Give me one up north in the summer! 

@willdob3

You're certainly welcome!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chrystaltree2

Were you there yesterday? OMG, wasn't it gorgeous? Oceanfront . . . one lucky gal, for sure. My daughter has to walk a block now that she's renting. She used to own and was fourth house down, but she no longer has that house. In fact it was sold, torn down, and rebuilt on that beautiful corner lot. Long story.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Hi @LilacTree  Heart good to see you posting.   Your post made me feel like I was there with you.

LBI is my favorite place to go down the shore.  It is  a  slice of heaven!

Hubby and I are making plans to go in late September.  I can't wait to smell the ocean.........feel it in my face.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

Hi @LilacTree  Heart good to see you posting.   Your post made me feel like I was there with you.

LBI is my favorite place to go down the shore.  It is  a  slice of heaven!

Hubby and I are making plans to go in late September.  I can't wait to smell the ocean.........feel it in my face.

@dmod nj

Yep, September's one of the best times to go.  We were lucky this weekend though, at least on our beach, just a few umbrellas here and there.  Gorgeous perfect day for me!!

I post often, on other topics that you perhaps don't see.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i have not been to the Jersey Shore.  i've always wanted to see Cape May and my mother lived in Spring Lake in her 20s and  i always wished we could go, bit we never took vacations as kids andwere raised swimming the beaches of Eastern Long Island.  i do wish my sister and i could spend time at the beach with my mother. the last time we did this was a few days just after 9/11. we all live hundreds of miles apart and my mother can't deal with both daughters at one time. always been this way.

Cape May is lovely.  Quaint, peaceful, beautiful little town.  I hope you get there someday with your mom.

Formerly Ford1224