Respected Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

@LilacTree ... Sounds beautiful! Nice and relaxing. What is it with being around water that seems so peaceful?

We're taking a short trip to Southern California...leaving Wednesday. We're taking my 91 y.o. mother along. We'll be going to the beach too. I guess they have beach wheelchairs. I love being on the ocean...just don't love all that salt! My mother will have a chance to see her sister though...it's been three years. That is really the purpose of this trip. Her sister hasn't been to the ocean in years, even though she lives in SoCal, so it will be nice for them to relax and catch up.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

I love to look and walk along the Shore, in fact I love to be near the ocean all the time. 

But! I would never set my foot in that water, it is cold and murky.  I love Caribbean and THAT IS my joy and healing, the clear ,warm and turquoise water. I can stay in the water forever!!!! My skin and nails become amazing in 2-3 days.... And healthy shade of palapas and palm trees...  I need to go back there...

Otherwise I am glad you had great vacation, ocean is the best doctor!!!

agree about the comparison 1000%.  Baby Beach in Aruba is absolutely spectacular (not Caribbean), but in that region.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@LilacTree ... Sounds beautiful! Nice and relaxing. What is it with being around water that seems so peaceful?

We're taking a short trip to Southern California...leaving Wednesday. We're taking my 91 y.o. mother along. We'll be going to the beach too. I guess they have beach wheelchairs. I love being on the ocean...just don't love all that salt! My mother will have a chance to see her sister though...it's been three years. That is really the purpose of this trip. Her sister hasn't been to the ocean in years, even though she lives in SoCal, so it will be nice for them to relax and catch up.

@LilacTree ~ that's where we all started out👶

Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@Yardlie

@LilacTree... Sounds beautiful! Nice and relaxing. What is it with being around water that seems so peaceful?

@LilacTree ~ that's where we all started out👶

@Yardlie ~ that such a wonderful thing your doing for your mom and aunt...love to hear about things like that.  Bless you all!

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

I love to look and walk along the Shore, in fact I love to be near the ocean all the time. 

But! I would never set my foot in that water, it is cold and murky.  I love Caribbean and THAT IS my joy and healing, the clear ,warm and turquoise water. I can stay in the water forever!!!! My skin and nails become amazing in 2-3 days.... And healthy shade of palapas and palm trees...  I need to go back there...

agree about the comparison 1000%.  Baby Beach in Aruba is absolutely spectacular (not Caribbean), but in that region.  

I'm there!  Nothing like carribbean waters...ahhh😎

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Went down the shore Saturday with my girls and stayed overnight at my daughter's house (who lives on LBI).  We went down to the beach early and stayed practically all day.  It was my first time this year.

They have done a beautiful job replenishing the beach, it's twice as long a walk to the ocean than it used to be.  There are barges on the horizon that continually push the deep ocean sand toward the shoreline.  We saw dolphins.  It was about 85 and sunny most of the day, just a bit breezy, which is how I like it.

They have a service for people like me.  You call them and they meet you in a jeep at the top of the beach and drive you down to where you want to locate.  Wonderful, friendly people.  The area of the beach where we go has no lifeguards, so there was plenty of room to sit anywhere we wanted to sit.  The sand white and clean . . . OMG, I felt like I had just come home!! 

You then call the service when you want to leave and they come and get you.  My daughter and her girls are so lucky they can go out there and look at that magnificent sea whenever they want to.  My daughter goes alone often.  Her girls were born there and take it for granted.  They are working now that it's summer. 

We took some photos and I put them on my FB.  My daughter made cod and salmon and we had roasted potatoes and carrots Saturday night.  (I had leftovers on Sunday and it was still delicious.) 

I could go on and on.  It was the best weekend in a long, long time.  We are such Jersey girls, all we did was laugh and tell jokes.  We're different somehow when we're down there all together, I can't explain it.

Someone had a thread the other day about where you would want to go on vacation.  The only place I would want to go is exactly where I was yesterday!!

Is there any chance of you living on LBI close to your daughter, or spending more than just a weekend there?  I know your heart and soul belongs to the shore, mine as wellSmiley Sad  I grew up on and around the Long Island Sound and miss it very much til this day...Alaska is surrounded by water, but it's not the same in any way, nor do I expect it to be anything but a raw type of beauty.  Not my kind of water experience...do like watching whales thoughSmiley Happy

@AKgirl2 

When I retired at 66 I did buy a home on the mainland, but very close to LBI.  It was only 15 minutes over the bridge to the Island where three of my daughters were living at the time.  Then the housing bust happened.  Believe it or not I couldn't find a job that paid more than minimum wage.  There were no jobs in my profession!  I mistakenly had put too much cash into the house and had to sell at a loss.

I had to come back and rent here.  Two of my daughters moved off the Island as well.  Those were difficult years.  At this age I would not and could not ever buy again.  In fact, very few people could buy on the Island these days.  The prices are astronomical !!  Even my daughter who rents there now (she used to own) cannot afford to ever buy there.  Chances are when both girls are out of school, she will move to the mainland if she wants to own.

Yes, I love it . . . it's in my heart and blood and I am just so grateful that I can still go down there whenever I want to.  My daughter's youngest is 13 and still has four more years of school.  Then my daughter will have to make a decision.  But after 20 years of living on the Island, it's going to be difficult for her to leave.  I try not to think about it.

Unfortunately, it is what it is as people say. MSad, but the recession ruined so many lives financially and then some.  Glad you live close by and are able to see your daughters and grandchildren and enjoy the beach and beautiful ocean.  It always could be worse, right?  It's salmon season here...people fishing right off the shores...gets pretty stinky😕

Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

I'm there!  Nothing like carribbean waters...ahhh😎

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

Okay, I have to ask.   what is LBI ?

@Chrystaltree2  LBI is an island in southern NJ  .... A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT !!!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I just spent time on the Oregon coast last week and didn't want to return home.  Since then I've spent several hours looking at real estate online but a move to the beach is just not going to happenSmiley Sad

What a nice service those jeeps had going, @LilacTree.  When I got home the muscles in the back of my legs were killing me from walking through the soft sand.  My dog could easily become a beach bumSmiley Happy

@tansy 

The beach is so wide now I can imagine even people without disabilities will find it a long walk.  Of course it's wonderful protection and so beautifully clean and white, it's well worth it. 

We always sit by the water, so they had to drive me down to where my girls had set us up.  We thought at high tide we'd have to move, but even though we went through a complete high tide cycle, we did not have to move.  I never thought they could bring it back at all, let alone so beautifully.

Yes, dogs love the beach and why not?  They're really not allowed on our beach, but at one point we saw a beautiful greyhound running across the top by the dunes.  He must have gotten loose . . . there was no trying to catch him, he ran like the wind!

Nice to see you, Tansy.  Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Yardlie

I've never been to CA, but my beloved sister lived there for a couple of years and she loved it.  That was in 1965.  My girls have been there also because that's where their father moved to when he remarried.  They are not so crazy about it though.

I hope your mother and her sister have a wonderful reunion!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986