Trusted Contributor

Re: The flu shot does not prevent all strains of the flu :(

@makena wrote:

The last time I was injected with an immunization I ended up with pneumonia.  I never get a flu shot and I never get the flu.  Scare tactic and money-maker for drug companies.

Spoken like someone who does not understand how vaccines work or basic economics.

First, it costs a lot more to treat a case ofthe flu than the cost of the vaccine -- particularly when the cases requires doctor visits and hospitalization.  Secondly, if this were truly a "scare tactic" and ineffective, do you honestly think that literally millions of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals get it just for kicks?

You say this because in your lifetime you have not seen a trulyu devastating outbreak of the flu which kills tens of thousands (or more) in a single year.  You hjave the flu vaccine to thank for that.

Honored Contributor

The pandemic we had during WW1 killed more people than the war did.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby

EXCELLENT POINTS!

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@makena wrote:

The last time I was injected with an immunization I ended up with pneumonia.  I never get a flu shot and I never get the flu.  Scare tactic and money-maker for drug companies.

Spoken like someone who does not understand how vaccines work or basic economics.

First, it costs a lot more to treat a case ofthe flu than the cost of the vaccine -- particularly when the cases requires doctor visits and hospitalization.  Secondly, if this were truly a "scare tactic" and ineffective, do you honestly think that literally millions of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals get it just for kicks?

You say this because in your lifetime you have not seen a trulyu devastating outbreak of the flu which kills tens of thousands (or more) in a single year.  You hjave the flu vaccine to thank for that.

@KYToby  Bravo! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

snip

The deadly flu virus attacked more than one-third of the world's population, and within months had killed more than 50 million people – three times as many as the World War I – and did it more quickly than any other illness in recorded history.

Honored Contributor

Over the last few years I always hear that they try to accurately ID the strain they believe will be the aggressive one.

Honored Contributor

It was not a nurse who took the BP it was the Doc, he kept teeling them this is normal for m, this is normal but the doc went into panic mode. At the hospital his BP was normal for him and they thuht the whole thing was a bit unnecessary.

@RedTop wrote:

@I am still oxox

Based on what I know from our own local "doc in a box", or Med Express, they are not the best place for treatment of certain conditions.   The walk in clinic here has referred several people I know to the local ER for situations very similar to your husbands low BP.   

Since Med Express physicians have no access to a patient's medical record to verify any health information on specific issues like your husbands normal low BP, they always refuse to treat that patient to avoid any potential issues.   Even if a nurse had taken the BP manually, and gotten the lower than normal reading, the doctor would not accept liability to prescribe the needed treatment.   

I think your husband was better off to receive his treatment at the ER.   Hopefully he will feel better soon.   

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

True, as with any vaccine they only work if they make your body produce an army of antibodies who know their enemies. Lock and key effect.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people self-diagnose the flu when it is only a virus.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The pandemic we had during WW1 killed more people than the war did.

@cherry  My MIL's parents lost all four of their children from that flu.  My MIL was one of 3 children born after that tragedy.  The little headstones of the first set of children is heartbreaking.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh